Do you think...

Ron Mercer will be well received in Boston OR Denver next season.  A wolf in sheep's clothing.  He makes Antoine seem like a near saint.

"Monday, Aug. 9 6:23pm ET
Mercer finally shows up

DENVER -- Ron Mercer, the newest member of the Denver Nuggets, showed up Monday to meet the team, five days late without assurances he will remain with the Nuggets beyond the year remaining on his contract.

Mercer was acquired from the Boston Celtics on Aug. 3, with Popeye Jones and Dwayne Schintzius, in exchange for Danny Fortson, Eric Washington, Eric Williams and a future first-round draft choice.

He arrived Monday with his agent, Tvester Scott, who said Mercer would enter the free-agent market at the end of the 1999-2000 season unless the Nuggets offer him a contract extension.

"This is a business decision, just like the Nuggets have a business decision whether they want to extend the contract before or after the season," Mercer said. "I have to look after myself and give an opportunity to go to other teams and explore it."

Scott said they met with general manager Dan Issel "so we all understand each other."

Scott added: "At the end of the season, we are going evaluate the Nuggets along with other teams, review all the options and do what is best for my player."

Mercer was due in Denver for an Aug. 4 news conference but didn't show up. At the time, Issel said Mercer was disappointed that Boston media reports saying the Nuggets were prepared to offer him a six-year contract extension weren't true.

Scott said a trip to Denver was necessary to clear up misunderstandings. Several published reports had the 23-year-old former University of Kentucky standout refusing to come to Denver until a contract extension was worked out.

Scott said Boston coach Pick Pitino and the Celtics were to blame for his client not coming last week.

"There was a three-way trade on the table that Ron was going to a top-10 team and at the last minute we heard from Rick Pitino that Ron is going to Denver," Scott said.

The feeling was that Pitino, Mercer's coach and mentor since college, misled him, the agent said. "It is nothing against the Nuggets, it was just Boston wasn't fair with the kid."

The Nuggets have struggled the past few years. They finished 21-61 in 1996-97 and were 14-36 last season.

Mercer blamed his no-show on miscommunication. "I want to clear up everything. I want everybody to know that it wasn't Denver's fault and there was a miscommunication between some people," he said.

Mercer said he told Issel he would come to the Nuggets prepared for the season, play hard for the team and leave any contract negotiations up to Scott and team managers.

"I am here to do a job and that is what I am going to do," Mercer said. "All I can do is play hard and those things are going to come when the time is right."

He averaged 15.9 points and 2.3 rebounds a game in two years with the Celtics.

Issel said Mercer took his physical exam and passed it to finalize the deal.

"He is a young player, who has a chance to be an All-Star and can be as good as he wants to be in this league," Issel said. "I think this is one more step for the Denver Nuggets getting back to credibility."

Pitino, who coached Mercer at Kentucky and during his first two years in the NBA, shares the league-wide consensus that Mercer is a future star. But after Mercer told Pitino what it would cost to re-sign him, the coach decided the Celtics couldn't afford his talents, bright future or not."