PITINO

My comments were based on one of the articles posted today by someone about the situation between Mercer and Pitino.  You are quite right he wanted more money, but don't let's forget, Walter got a large check and his talents don't compare with Mercer's, no matter what you think of Mercer.  I love Walter, but there was little hoopla about paying him, as many have mentioned here.

Many of you were delighted when Pitino came to the Celts, but I wasn't and never made any secret of it.  I haven't changed my mind at all in the interim.  It has nothing to do with M. L. Carr, it has only to do with RP.  In my opinion, for what it's worth, he made a mega mistake in letting go Rick Fox and David Wesley, who (no matter what you thought of them as players) were hard workers, always showed up to play, had a great raport with the fans and the media and would have been that very important element - veteran leadership.  Unless my memory has completely deserted me, the player for whom he had to give up all those free agents then was traded away.  It was all for nothing.  There also seems to be some question about Mercer's being told he would have an extension, which is the crux of his problem with his new team, no?

As usual, I make no apologies for what I said - they are only my opinions, for what they're worth.  If Pitino gets the Celts to the playoffs this year I'll give him full credit for that, but I still won't like him.

Dorine