Re: PITINO

At 03:47 PM 8/8/99 -0400, Dorine wrote:
>My comments were based on one of the articles posted today by someone
>about the situation between Mercer and Pitino.  You are quite right he
>wanted more money, but don't let's forget, Walter got a large check and
>his talents don't compare with Mercer's, no matter what you think of
>Mercer.  I love Walter, but there was little hoopla about paying him, as
>many have mentioned here.

My point was only that RP's tirades didn't seem to be the reason for Mercer
and his agents acting the fool as they acted the same way to Issel and the
Nougats.

>Many of you were delighted when Pitino came to the Celts, but I wasn't and
>never made any secret of it.  I haven't changed my mind at all in the
>interim.  It has nothing to do with M. L. Carr, it has only to do with
>RP.  In my opinion, for what it's worth, he made a mega mistake in letting
>go Rick Fox and David Wesley, who (no matter what you thought of them as
>players) were hard workers, always showed up to play, had a great raport
>with the fans and the media and would have been that very important
>element - veteran leadership.

yup I was ecstatic when RP was tabbed head honcho and I still like him but
with not quite as much enthusiasm as before!!
I was a Fox backer but we would have had to pay him much more than he is
worth for veteran leadership. His stats have declined each of the last
three years and the Fakers just signed him to a huge contract so go figure!
Wesley is an enigma to me as he looks great for a game or two but then
takes three steps back for a few games. I liked his attitude and desire but
wasn't heartbroken when he was shown the door.

   There also seems to be some question about Mercer's being told he would
have an extension, which is the crux of his problem with his new team, no?

The only source for this supposed extension was our beloved Boston media
and  Master P's No Limit Soldiers (Agent). If he was upset it should be
with his agents for issuing ultimatums when they have no leverage. Shoot if
I was in charge I would have looked to trade him if I was only going to
lose him for nothing for not caving in to his demands. I just don't see how
RP/Celtics can be faulted for Mercer and his agents actions. Master P's No
Limit bunch are trying to use Music business tactics in the NBA and that
dog won't hunt. Acting like spoiled brats and whining may work
backstage  where you can ask for no green M & M's and bottled water only
from Polar, Me.!!   NBA suits will follow the path of least resistance and
that is what the Celts did by trading Ron and IMO stealing Denver blind. I
will miss last years Ron both on and off the court but like RP or not I
believe he has made the C's a much better team. Actual play will truly tell
the story but I like what I see on paper anyway!

>As usual, I make no apologies for what I said - they are only my opinions,
>for what they're worth.  If Pitino gets the Celts to the playoffs this
>year I'll give him full credit for that, but I still won't like him.

I like your opinions and you have to apologize to no one and if my prior
post inferred that you should it was purely unintentional. You can dislike
RP all you want but in this case IMO he deserves no fault as Mercer and
company shot themselves in the foot with no assistance from the C's
Napoleon!! Just my thoughts and YMMV. Later.Mike

GO RED SOX!! GO CELTICS!! GO BRUINS!! GO PATRIOTS!!
Yup I'm from Massachusetts, but how did you know?