Spurs v Fortson

Bill Simmons' "Boston Sportsguy" writes the following:

* Forget everything you remember about (Fortson) in college. First of
all, he's a legit 6-foot-7. He shed all his baby fat. He's one of the
strongest forwards in the league -- built like Charles Barkley, but
taller. He's one of the more underrated defensive players in the game (I
watched him eat up our buddy Antoine last season). He's not a head case
-- few players in the league put up steadier numbers on a lousy team
last year than Fortson. Basically, he's the type of guy who looks across
the court during warmups at a wuss like Vin Baker and mutters to
himself, "I might get 30 rebounds tonight."

--------

Upon reading the above, I checked out how Fortson did against the NBA
champion Spurs last year, and it's clear Messrs Robinson and Duncan
totally shut him down offensively in all four blowout games (average
winning margin was 22.8 points). In fact, Fortson barely got into the
game for the last two encounters (34 minutes total) despite never being
in foul trouble.

In his first game, Fortson managed 16 rebounds (3 offensive) with 3
fouls in 29 minutes. Duncan and Robinson combined for 40 points and 19
rebounds in 61 minutes. The following night Fortson had 9 rebounds (4
offensive) with 3 fouls in 25 minutes. Duncan and Robinson combined for
36 points and 14 rebounds in 62 minutes.

One thing you can say for Fortson is that he was remarkably consistent
last year. He opened the season with an18 rebound game and finished with
a 17 rebound statement - despite getting drastically less playing time
(I don't know why) in the final eight games of the season (just 15.3
mpg). Up until that very point, Fortson had accumulated double-figure
rebounding games with just unbelieveable regularity. You look at it, and
it's really surprising! It will make you happy all day.

So by way of conclusion, let me just say that the Celtics will surely
struggle against the Spurs if we meet in the playoffs next year. But
don't forget that David Robinson (34-years-old) is not going to be
around forever.

Joe

--------