No Subject

> Yeah, but Alex,
>
> a) Where does Cheaney play? Backup SF? What about Williams (and McCarty)?
> Backup SG? What about Washington and Griffin? Those guys MIGHT not be as good
> as CC, but they'll get the job done. Because:

Backup SG. Griffin is a CBA player who signed for the minimum. He's going
to sit at the end of the bench or on the injured list most likely. Washington
is a third stringer. Cheaney is a former college player of the year, number 6
draft pick, 17 ppg scorer in the pros. He's got a lot more credentials than
any CBA player or unproven secound round draft pick. I was feeling a bit
uncomfortable with Washington as the only backup option at shooting guard.
What if there's an injury - do we really want Griffin playing major minutes
at shooting guard?

Cheaney has really had only one bad year; his others have been unspectacular
but respectable. There is NO WAY that Griffin or Washington are better
players, regardless of how much of a disappointment Cheaney has been in
recent years in comparison to his college days.

> b) What we REALLY need is a backup C, and how do we get him now without
> making another trade?

The Celtics could certainly use a competent backup center. But Battie and
Fortson are both capable of filling in there as needed. It's not like
we're competing for a championship this year so we don't have to have the
ideal roster yet. We were very thin at shooting guard and center and decided
to fill in the shooting guard spot. The pickings at the exception are only
going to improve as the team becomes more of a contender.

> My parents both went to Indiana so I WORSHIPED Cheaney in college. I cheered
> for him in the NBA and was amazed by how efficiently he shot the ball. But
> now his career seems to be what's shot.

That is exactly why he's available for the exception. Peter, this simply isn't
a big risk and there's a lot of potential upside. If he plays like he did in
his first three years in the pros, he'll be a fantastic bargain. If not, all
you've given up is a single exception slot. If necessary, we can try for the
backup center with the exception next year, or draft for one.

Alex