Re: Another trade thought

In your analysis, Fortson for Jones is nearly equal, to possibly favoring
the Celtics.  If that's true, and I don't hear many people who feel that
way, there's no way the whole trade benefits the Celtics.  I know you are
comparing Fortson and Jones because they have similar roles, but all
accounts say that Fortson is *way* more talented, and Jones is damaged
goods.

I consider the deals...

Mercer for Fortson & #1.  Good deal for the Celts because they need
rebounding a lot more than jumpshooting.  Also, the pick could very well be
the equal of Ron Mercer, in the long run.  Everybody talks about Ron's
"upside".  But, as I understand it, "upside" means "undeveloped potential",
not "can jump through the roof", which is how a lot of people take it.
Personally, I don't think Ron's got that much potential left untapped.
Don't get me wrong, he's already pretty darn good, but I don't think he's
going to get *a lot* better.  In that sense, Battie and Potapenko have more
"upside".

Popeye for Eric Williams.  Both damaged goods.  Either one could never play
well again, but so far Eric's recovery has gone better.  With Fortson on the
team, the Celtics can use Eric's skills more, because bench scoring is one
of their top needs.  This aspect of the trade could go either way, but I'll
take Williams because his knee has done better so far.

Washington for Shintzius.  Well, anyone for Shintzius is good.  The only way
this is bad for the Celtics is if Washington has a contract that could
plague them.  Anyone know what his contract is?

Et voila.  The same trade, broken down a different way, and the Celtics
clearly win.  Don't you just love sports?

Jim

PS Did everyone read the stuff coming out of Dan Issel in the Denver papers?
  Please.  They got the "final piece of the puzzle".  They are on a "one
year plan".  Did they just trade for Ron Mercer, or Michael Jordan?