Mercer/Fortson Trade

I have to weigh in in favor of this deal.  The Celtics desperately need
someone who can bang the boards.  Danny Fortson can certainly do that.  I'm
anxious to see what a starting frontcourt of Walker, Potapenko, and Fortson
will do.  I think we're in for a treat.  Fortson and Potapenko should
complement each other nicely.  Although the consensus is that Mercer is a
better player, I don't believe he is significantly better than Fortson.
More importantly, however, by acquiring Fortson, the Celtics have filled a
longstanding need for a capable power forward.  Fortson fits the bill
nicely.  He is a quality player who can rebound.  If no other players were
involved in this deal I would still give it a thumbs up.  Also getting
Williams, Washington and a number one pick for Popeye and Schintzius makes
this a real sweet deal indeed.