More on the newest Celtic

Fortson goes to the line very often - 231 free throw attempts vs 386 field
goal attempts. And he shoots over 70% from the line. To compare, Walker
took 202 FT to 735 FG, Mercer took 105 FT to 707 FG. Couple that with his
excellent 49.5% shooting from the field and you have an nice, high-percentage
offensive player. Along with Williams, he should reduce the free throw
disparity that the Celtics typically face.

On the negative side, Fortson has the tendency to get into foul trouble. I
count nine times that he fouled out last season. Twelve more times he ended
the game with five fouls. That's over 40% of the season where he gets into
extreme foul trouble. As others have speculated, the new rules may hamper
him even further. However, he may do better if he plays his natural power
forward position rather than center.

The trade also fulfills Hubie Brown's rule of 3.5 scorers per unit. We have
Pierce and Walker as full scorers and Potapenko, Anderson, and Fortson as
half scorers. Or perhaps Potapenko ends up being a "full scorer" and Fortson
counts as a non-scorer who has very few plays run for him (but scores due
to putbacks and other opportunistic baskets).

Was it Ray that suggested that the first rounder could be dealt? I think
that's quite possible, and a good use of the pick to improve the team now.
For instance, Denver's last pick was used by Toronto to acquire Antonio
Davis. Pheonix is evidently trying to use their pick (Shawn Marion) to
acquire Penny Hardaway. Seattle's low lottery pick was sufficient to pry
away Horace Grant. Atlanta is heading for a younger team; could Potapenko
and Denver's draft pick, along with cap filler, pry Mutombo away, during
the season or near draft time next year? Or how about pursuing Darrell
Armstrong, who at 31 years old doesn't seem to fit in with the Magic's
rebuilding plan?

Alex