Re: Boston Herald Says Mercer Deal Imminient; First Lottery Protected; Indiana Interested In Walker

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> The Celtics could also be bringing in more new faces if they deal Walker,
> who has drawn interest from Larry Bird in Indiana. The Celtics would
> probably focus on Jalen Rose as part of a return package from the Pacers.

I believe Larry Bird expressed interest in Antoine Walker last year as well.
Apparently Larry Legend & Pat Riley like Antoine, whereas GM's Wally Walker and
Krause do not.

Despite making it clear he looks forward to retiring upon honoring the last
year of his contract, IMO you have to admire Bird's integrity for maneuverng to
acquire a core of young talent (Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender) to build a
future for the Indiana franchise after he leaves. It's not like he expects to
profit from their play this year.

The other day I visited NBA Hall of Fame Bill Bradley's 2000 presidential
campaign Web site and was really surprised to find that he cites Larry Bird as
an example of courage. If you visit the Web site (Bradley's supposedly a family
friend of my parents and once even left a message on my answering machine which
I never returned) you will find the following excerpt from a chapter entitled
"Courage" in his "Values of the Game" book:

"Larry Bird's last seasons in the NBA are a classic example of this kind of
courage. After nine years of wear and tear, his back was giving him a lot of
trouble. Each time he left the locker room, Bird moved as if he were disabled,
but when he got to the hardwood, out there before the crowd, something happened
to him. "It was as if he'd been given a new back," former Celtics CEO Dave
Gavitt told me at a Hall of Fame induction ceremony. "He didn't seem to realize
he was in pain until the competition was behind him." When Bird finished the
1991-92 season, the prognosis was grim; his body had finally worn out. His
contract contained a two-year option for $4.5 million a year, which would
automatically take effect on August 15 if he didn't notify the club of his
retirement. On August 12, Bird went to see Gavitt and announced that he was
going to retire. Gavitt, aware of the August 15 deadline and of all the years
of dedicated service Larry had given the Celtics, asked him whether he wanted a
few more days to think it over. "I know what day this is," Bird replied. "If
I'm not going to play and know I can't play, I'm not going to take the money.
I'm not going to take one cent I don't earn."

------