Fortson trade simultaneously good and troubling

Let me be the first one to say that I spent last season marvelling at both
Fortson's rebounding numbers AND consistency.  I think that it's amazing
that an undersized player was (is) such a force on the glass, especially
when playing out of position at center and being overmatched from a
height perspective.

However, I'm a little hesitant to fully support this trade.  Let me begin by
making a disclaimer:  I think that Fortson will do a fine job at power
forward, and might be just the blue-collar type at "4" that many on the list
have been clamoring for.  However, how does a 260 pound wrecking
ball fit into a pressing / trapping defensive style?  Aren't the new
officiating changes designed to prevent physical defensive play in the
post, thus benefitting lithe, quick big men like Battie or Camby while
theoretically working against battleships like Potapenko and Fortson?

Someone else brought up the point that with Potapenko and Fortson, we
have TWO undersized interior players, meaning that we could still be
susceptible defensively inside to teams that have legitimate low post
offenses, especially if Fortson has to rely on being physical and leaning
on his man to deny position and make up for his height shortcoming (pun
intended!).  Hopefully, Battie would fit into the rotation somehow,
otherwise the Celtics won't have any shotblocking to speak of.

I'm also not convinced about the position changes for Walker and Pierce.
I think that it's possible that Pierce might have a tough transition to playing
in the backcourt, especially on the defensive end.  Hopefully he will both
improve upon last season's play and continue with the strong
performances he demonstrated in the LA summer league.  But his
summer audition at shooting guard--made at the expense of marginal
NBA prospects--hasn't convinced me that he can be most effective
playing in the backcourt.

Also, having bookends Potapenko and Fortson anchored within the
shadow of the basket will likely preclude Walker from setting up camp
there, as well.  I don't think that anyone will argue that Antoine has been
most effective on the block--I lament the prospect of him moving his game
further out on the perimeter, where his propensity to launch ill-advised,
long range bombs might become problematic.

I've also seen Eric Washington--both in college and in the NBA--and feel
that he's a mixed bag.  He scored more as a rookie, and is a fine athlete
who could excel in a full court game (goodbye Bowen, if this trade
actually happens).  However, while he can make perimeter shots (a few
other posts have referred to him as being a fine three point marksman),
he is much more of a slasher / score than a shooter.

Ryan