Denver deal

The Herald reports today that the trigger on the Denver deal is
close to being pulled:  Mercer, Popeye, Schintzius for
Fortson, Eric Williams, Eric Washington, and a first round pick.
If this is true, I'm thrilled.   We need a first rate rebounder,
and Danny Fortson is one of the best glass guzzlers in the league.
And, he's a tough nut to boot.

With Pierce our best rebounder in the front court, Fortson is a
welcome addition. He averaged over 4 offensive rebounds per game
(and 7+ defensive). Plus the kid knows how to score. Washington is
a 6-4 guard who can shoot the 3.  And a Denver 1st rounder is worth
something.   As for Eric Williams, he was never short on talent. Let's
see how the rest of him has shaped up.  And if the Cs are using Pierce
and Griffin at the 2, there's room at the 3.

If Fortson doesn't work out, he's worth something to the rest of the
league who are all looking for PFs.  Ditto for Williams.  The only
way we would lose anything in this trade is if Popeye comes back
to his Dallas form, and that's no sure thing.

I'd love this!

  --Ellie