Re: Up Tempo

Hi Josh

I thought the problem was that KA's definition of "up tempo" is
dribbling the ball to the key himself whenever possible, rather than
pass off earlier and let someone ahead of him run the break. KA is a
"dribble hog". Watching the Celts makes you really learn to appreciate
the value of great forward lob passers (remember Sherman Douglas?).
Sure, Dana Barros dribbles it up with impressive quickness but we all
know that isn't the fastest way to run the break (via the dribble).

Once it gets into a halfcourt offense, I find it very hard to nitpick
with Kenny's game as much as I've tried -- for example by seeing if
there is any obvious correlation between Kenny Anderson and the
disappointingly poor shot percentages of our big three scorers. I don't
KA blowing obvious pass opportunities, forcing bad passes into traffic,
or even forcing more jumpshots than is necessary to keep a defense
honest. Obviously, this guy really is remarkable at dribbling out of any
mess he's temporarily in. To say KA's having a career shooting
percentage year (.450) is almost an understatement. This is the only
reason you might say he has any trade value, although his 8 million
salary and lower scoring average negate this.

I wonder if the Celts would get more value in return if they agreed to
pay his full salary for an additional year, like Portland did. I assume
this is allowed.

Joe