>                                 [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
>                                 [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

I think the Bob Ryan column summed up the booing the best.  Particularly:

"Antoine would not accept the fact that all the shoulder-wiggling and
hot-dogging he indulged in during his first two years did not amuse his
own fans. ... At his best, the fans have been tolerating him."

... but I think this is even more relevant:

"What we now have at the Fleet is a fandom that pines for the old days;
that loathes the truly insulting and irrelevant ''game presentation''
that assumes you really haven't come for the game;..."

... wrapped up nicely with:

"The real problem isn't Pitino, and it isn't Walker and it isn't the 14-24
record. The real problem is that even if the Celtics were 24-14, or even
34-4, and on their way to the playoffs the fun we once knew in this
league is gone. Our beloved game has been hijacked by some weird, alien
force. It's all sadly wrong."

There is no reason for the Celtics to conform to the goofiness the rest of
the NBA deems as necessary.  The C's do not need laser light shows,
Stickman, shooting T-shirts into the stands, etc.  Only a marketsuit
suit/haircut thinks this is a good idea.  I'd have a ball laughing at the
other teams forced to go through such foolishness.

And from Peter May:

"''I've learned something this year,'' Pitino said after a practice at
Healthpoint. ''I never thought the fans would be this impatient. I'm kind
of taken aback by it, because it was a lockout and we said all along that
the third and fourth year is when we'll be there.''"

Well, Rick, I certainly don't presume to speak on behalf of all Celtics
fans, but the feeling I've always gotten is that fans don't trust you.
You say one thing, you mean another.  You're constantly talking out of the
sides of your mouth.  You've made questionable deals with little to no
explanation (i.e. Eric Williams).

I *really* think the ire from the fans is *not* from impatience, but more
from watching the C's sleepwalk through March.  I mean, going through the
motions for one game happens, and I think most understand that.  But
everytime we thought they couldn't sink any lower, they did.  I mean, that
was the worst concentrated stretch of bad basketball I've ever seen by the
Celtics.  (Maybe it's normal for Clipper fans.)

If I was at a game I wouldn't boo.  But I see why it's happened and I
don't think it's "wrong" either.

Dan