Re: Will Walker Force A Trade At The End Of The Season?

I question whether you can simply lable Antoine and Ron as low percentage shooters.  A lot of this has to do with the general lack of a coherent offense.  As far as ball distribution and offensive flow, Antoine is a great forward to have on your team because he passes the ball well.  As soon as he learns not to rule out pass once he's started his offensive move, watch out.  I don't think any of the replacements you have suggested for him will help ball distribution.  Defensively, I think Mercer's gotten a bad rap.  He's got the tools and causes a lot of deflections.  He gets burned a lot, but again I think that's a team thing, with all this rotating.  Antoine plays defense only when he needs to.  Basically it seems like he's out there trying not to pick up fouls so that he can stay on the court.  The good news is that players generally improve defensively with experience.

So, tell me Ray, what you think would be accomplished by making another major overhaul this summer?  Do you think it's possible, with trades involving at least two of the starting five, to come out and be cometative next year?   Or are you suggesting these things because you don't think this group will ever be competative?  Personally, I would rather see the team settle down a little bit.  I think that a lot of the problems they have had are because there have been so many changes over the last couple of years.  I like these guys enough to give them a chance, with certain additions (one big reserve pg would be nice).

Jim