Popeye Jones Speaks

        4.13.99 00:02:09

        What hurts Celts most is wondering `what if?'

By MIKE SZOSTAK
Journal Sports Writer
<snip>

And then there was Popeye Jones, the veteran forward
who underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee two
weeks ago and will be out until next season. He made a
pregame visit to the Celtics dressing room last night.
When Anderson arrived, the injured guard kidded the
injured forward.

``You playing tonight?'' Anderson said, grinning.
``Wrap it up. You'll be all right/''

Jones would have loved nothing better than to have
pulled on his white and green uniform and taken a run
at the Cleveland Cavaliers, especially during a 103-89
rout.

``It's terribly frustrating, especially seeing the team
struggle like this,'' Jones said. ``I was here to help
the team win and make the playoffs. Not being able to
do that keeps me up at night. It was hard for me to
provide any leadership or advice when I wasn't playing
and I was down in the dumps myself.''

The Celtics acquired Jones in February, 1998, in the
deal that sent Dee Brown and Chauncey Billups to
Toronto. Jones never played for Boston because he had
undergone surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate
ligament in his left knee. But Pitino thought enough of
him to sign him to a three-year contract when the NBA
lockout ended in January.

In addition to his rebounding prowess, Jones was being
counted on to provide veteran leadership to Pitino's
painfully young players. When Jones reported for
voluntary workouts in January, he thought he was ready
to fulfill Pitino's wish.

``I ran for (strength coach) Shaun Brown on the
high-speed treadmill. I thought that was the true
test,'' Jones said. He returned home to Dallas and
played pickup games. Two or three days upon his return
to Boston for training camp, the left knee started to
hurt. A bruised right quad sidelined him for Boston's
first two games, but then he started to play. The knee
never felt 100 percent.

On March 18 in Milwaukee, Jones knew something was
drastically wrong

``I went over early and did some shooting,'' he said.
``Before the game, it was like someone took an air pump
and blew (my knee) up. We went to New York the next
morning, and it was even larger. They sent me back here
for an MRI, which said it was okay.''

But it wasn't okay, really. The Celtics placed Jones on
the injured list on March 20. On March 31, Dr. Arnold
Scheller went in and removed bits of bone that had
flaked off and were floating in the joint. He also
tightened the ACL. Jones watched part of the procedure
on a monitor.

``If anyone has any questions about the knee, I'll
answer them. I did a lot of research,'' he said.

Now Jones begins the arduous process of rehabilitation.
Leg lifts. Weights. Electro-stimulation.

``It seems like the ACL all over again,'' he said.
``Basically I'm trying to rebuild the quad muscle. They
said that after an ACL it takes two years. Another
surgery and I lose some of what I had.''

The Celtics aren't rushing Jones to return. This season
was lost three weeks ago. Training camp begins in Oct.
Until then, Jones will continue to work with Celtics
trainer Ed Lacerte at the club's new training facility.
Scheller will also monitor Jones's progress.

Part of Jones's regimen in the near future will include
hydrotherapy.

``There's a pool with a current that you run against,''
he said.

Jones has no doubt that he will recover from this
latest injury and be ready to help the Celtics next
season.

``I'm still positive. I've always been a positive
person. I believe if you work hard, success will come
your way,'' he said.

So for Popeye Jones, the hard work that began more than
a year ago when he recovered from ACL surgery,
continues. And Pitino can only wonder what awaits when,
and if, the veteran rebounder is healthy.

    Copyright © 1999 The Providence Journal Company
               Produced by www.projo.com