Re[2]: why trade Battie?

I think we've all seen lately that this team needs some offense off the bench.
Pitino has gotten as much as he can out of the group by disguising their
weaknesses with full-court pressure that leads to easy baskets. But teams are
figuring that out. The Celts need some legitimate players off the bench, and
Rogers, although no all-star, certainly is capable of being an effective
offensive player and rebounder off the bench.

Battie is a nice role player, but the point about his contract status is right
on. He's not worth locking up to a long-term deal, unless it's for peanuts.

Also, I don't think Rogers would be the only addition to this team. I expect a
major trade involving Mercer for either a front-court starter or a point guard
(with Anderson also on the move).

I just think we all have a tendency to fall in love with Celtic players without
enough reason. Battie and Bowen have had their moments, but honestly, are they
so indispensible that we're ready to crucify Pitino for dealing them? I mean,
everyone wants changes, but no one wants to give up anything. First, we cried
that we shouldn't give up Walker, Pierce or Mercer, but when we trade Declercq
and a draft pick for a young starting center, people still complained. Now, when
talk of a trade involving two marginal bench players comes up, we cry some more.

Look, we can forget the Joe Barry Carroll for Parish/McHale days. If we're going
to improve, it's going to be a slow process that will involve sacrificing some
players to acquire other players. Until this team at least reaches the playoffs,
let's not get too attached to the players we have.

And don't forget, we're forced to trade to improve because M.L. saddled us with
Pervis, Dana and Minor at outrageous long-term prices. Plus, Pitino's plan was
slowed when Larry Brown got cold feet on the Radja trade (the physical thing was
an excuse to back out). And when he did, it made Dino untradeable. Don't forget
these things, because it's all relevant to the moves we're going to see in the
next couple of seasons.

I'm not as pessimistic as some on the list have become. I think the team is just
a few moves away from a playoff berth and a few years from really contending.
But don't pretend it's going to happen with the current roster.

Mark