Caulton Tudor On Vince Carter & The Lockout

Caulton Tudor is one of the best sports columnist around, but because
he's
located in Charlotte, national media buzz has passed him by.

                                        Charlotte, NC
                                        The News & Observer on the Web
                                                     8/17/98
                                Caulton Tudor: Lockout has Carter undecided

                                     Almost two months after the NBA draft,
                                some of Vince Carter's future is beginning to
                                come into focus.
                                     It's fairly certain that North Carolina's wing star
                                of the past two years will play next season for the
                                Toronto Raptors.
                                     That's assuming, of course, there is an NBA season
                                and barring the occurrence of another strange trade. If
                                you recall the specifics of the June 24 draft, Carter
                                officially began his pro career as property of the Golden
                                State Warriors. Ten minutes or so later, his rights were
                                swapped to Toronto for those of Carolina teammate Antawn
                                Jamison.
                                     And by about noon Tuesday, Carter will be a step --
                                certainly a shoe -- up on most of the NBA rookie class
                                when he formally begins a lucrative endorsement contract
                                with Puma. The shoe money can be deposited immediately
                                whether the NBA season eventually is on or gone.
                                     At a time when shoe companies are retreating from
                                NBA players at a fast-break pace and none of the
                                first-year players have been signed to contracts by the
                                teams, endorsement deals are difficult to swing.
                                     "I feel very fortunate to be in this position.
                                That's for sure," Carter said of the contract during a
                                telephone interview last week.
                                     Otherwise, almost nothing is for sure, even the next
                                day or two.
                                     In what may be the most unexpected turn of events
                                since the draft-night trade, Carter later this week may
                                enroll as a senior-year student at Carolina. The nature
                                of the contract negotiations deadlock between the NBA
                                owners and the players union is such that Carter, like
                                other rookies, isn't sure where to be, what to do or
                                which way to plan on any given day.
                                     "I feel lost," he said. "It's not like I'm
                                second-guessing my decision to come out, but there's no
                                way to make any definite plans on what's best."
                                     Having promised himself, his family and Carolina's
                                coaches that he would graduate as soon as possible,
                                Carter would like to stay in Chapel Hill, work out on his
                                own and attend classes in the event that the season
                                doesn't start on time.
                                     On the other hand, he can see the need to go ahead
                                and relocate to Toronto, hone his skills out there and be
                                in position to contribute to the team immediately should
                                the lockout end during the next few weeks.
                                     "This could be craziest feeling I've ever had," he
                                said. "If I go ahead and start classes and I'm not out
                                there getting ready for a season with the Tar Heels, I
                                know I'll feel lost. I can't even think about what
                                something like that would be like.
                                     "But if my teachers will let me go ahead and start
                                classes and get some credit for the work I do until the
                                pro season starts, then I guess that's what I'll do. The
                                coaches are trying to help me decide what would be best,
                                but it's hard for anyone to know what's best."
                                     Although Carter has stayed busy most of the summer,
                                he said the period since the draft basically has been
                                like waiting for something to happen in a vacuum. He and
                                Jamison, who also would have been a Carolina senior in
                                '98-'99, shared an apartment and attended summer school.
                                Former teammate Shammond Williams, who graduated in May,
                                moved to Atlanta and began private workouts in hopes of
                                landing a spot on the Hawks roster. Another '98 senior
                                with NBA hopes, center Makhtar Ndiaye, has returned to
                                his home in Africa to spend time with his family.
                                     "The last game that counted any of us played was
                                that [national semifinal] loss to Utah in San Antonio,"
                                Carter said. "I think we're all anxious to get the rest
                                of ours careers moving. It still hurts thinking back to
                                that game, and that seems like what we're talking about,
                                too.
                                     "Plus, everywhere I go -- home in Florida, home in
                                Chapel Hill, in Toronto, just about everywhere --
                                everybody I talk to is asking me what in the world
                                happened to us and all I can say is, 'It just wasn't our
                                night.' But it's just frustration to go with the
                                frustration of not being able to get going with the
                                Raptors."
                                     The most unsettling scenario of all, Carter said,
                                would be if he finds himself sitting in the Smith Center,
                                as an over-qualified student observer, when Carolina
                                starts its season Nov. 13 against Appalachian State.
                                     "I'm guessing I can get a ticket if that happens,"
                                he said. "I assume I can get one, but that's something
                                else I guess I'll have to check on. I've got a lot of
                                things I want to do, but I'm not sure whether to do them.
                                I'd like to go to one of those meetings between the
                                players and owners and find out what they talk about,
                                too. I don't know whether something like that would be
                                out of order or not."
                                     But if this period is frustrating for Carter, it has
                                the potential to be even more so for Carolina fans. Can
                                you imagine the level of torment Smith Center patrons
                                would experience if there is no NBA season and two of the
                                guys sitting behind the UNC bench during a close game
                                would be Carter and Jamison? It could happen.