Re: Mercer and Pierce. -Reply -Reply

>>> "Jim Meninno" <jim_meninno@hotmail.com> 09/11/98 01:19pm >>>
My vote is to make him a "fair" offer, whatever that is, that won't
cripple the team for the next decade.  If he won't take it, there's no
option but to let him go.  But I don't for a minute think that it is no
big deal.  His talent would not be that easy to replace.<<<<<

JM:
Fair enough.  But I wouldn't want the team to break the bank on a third
year player.  I do agree that Walker has talent, as evidenced by the fact
that he led the team in scoring and rebounding as you pointed out.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to anoint him the second coming of the
Celtic's basketball savior ( LB, anyone?) as many list members have.  If
the C's can sign him without paralyzing the team's ability to upgrade the
team as a function of the salary cap, then I'm all for it.  If not, cut the
losses and replace him, either via draft, free agency, or trade.

Before I get flamed by all the pro-Walker naysayers, ask yourselves this:
aren't there other players in the league of comparable skill and market
value (e.g. Vin Baker--someone who has been mentioned frequently in
list trade propositions) who not only could duplicate Antoine's numbers,
but also whose low post abilities might be a better fit on a team with a
plethora of talented wing players?

Ryan