Re: Mercer and Pierce. -Reply

I think it's a little too soon to say that the Celtics can afford to
lose their leading scorer and rebounder.  Let's see them make the
playoffs before we start discarding all-star caliber players.  For God's
sake, Mercer had a solid rookie season and Pierce has yet to play
professionally.  Neither of them will ever be the rebounder that Walker
is.  Neither of them is going to be a low post scorer either.  If we can
only keep two of them, why keep the two who are so similar in abilities?

My vote is to make him a "fair" offer, whatever that is, that won't
cripple the team for the next decade.  If he won't take it, there's no
option but to let him go.  But I don't for a minute think that it is no
big deal.  His talent would not be that easy to replace.

Jim