Walker vs. Mercer

> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:09:16 +1000
> From: Warwick <giants@eisa.net.au>
> Subject: Re: Walker over Mercer
>
> Mercer has a bigger brain and less ego than Walker. if they traded Mercer,
> they could kiss goodbye to any championship aspirations this team ever had.

This is a weird statement. Wouldn't this totally depend on who Mercer
was traded for?

While I think that Mercer will be a good to excellent NBA shooting guard
in the future, I personally think it's unlikely that he'll be a better
player than Walker, at least for the next few years. What does he do better
than Walker (other than keep his mouth shut)? I've read "defense" but neither
of them has really been very impressive as a man-to-man defender. Walker
seems more effective on the press.

Mercer's 2pt shooting percentage is equal to Walker's. He can't shoot the
three, he doesn't create his own baskets, he doesn't rebound, he doesn't
handle the ball well, he doesn't draw fouls. Points in favor? He shoots
free throws well and doesn't turn the ball over as much. He doesn't get
technicals. He finishes well in transition. He's more consistent. He has
a nice looking, high elevation jump shot.

I would love it if Mercer became a better player than Walker (unless it's
because Walker's game deteriorates, of course). The Celtics would be really
fearsome then, especially with a decent center.

Alex