Re: Holley

Unfortunately there are many millions of Americans who still have those
unpleasant and disgusting stereotypical thoughts on black people.  I don't
think anyone would dispute that.  If you are not one who has similar
opinions, don't sweat it.  Holley isn't making anything up here.  The real
problem, putting aside the actual work stoppage, is that the article hints
at fostering sympathy for the players because the owners instituted the
lockout in the first place.  My concern is for all the youngsters, who after
hearing stars like Malone say "if the owners don't forget about a hard cap,
there will be no season",  who will feel it is okay to allow others to
suffer, so long as you get what you want regardless.  MIllions of children
who admire these players may adopt similar attitudes with authority figures
as a result and some already show less than respect for elders and teachers
and bosses.   Now some people may say that is a stretch, BUT IT IS NOT.

I could really care less who wins or loses in a billion dollar battle, but I
do care about the effect it has on impressionable youth.

Holley, as a black writer, is as entitled to write from his perspective as
is Ryan or McDonough who certainly bring their perspective into their
articles.  It should come as no surprise that he, as a black man, would ally
himself with the players who are black men.  He's not wrong if that's how he
truly feels.

You should see the looks I get when I go to a hockey arena to write an
article on a hockey player in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.  I
could brand many white people as racist in their actions toward me and my
family, but that is not my style.  I do not begrudge Holley for having a
different style, nor should you.  You don't have to like it.

Cecil