FREE AGENTS

    Alot was written on this list before the lockout about the owners paying
these huge salaries to the players, so it was their fault for paying it.  In
truth, however, because of free agency, a team like the Timberwolves (for
instance) who were an expansion team not too long ago, finally found
themselves with a potentially great player and they probably felt they had
no choice, or they'd stay in the cellar for many more years.  Sort of the
way some of us feel about Walker, right?  But Gaston wouldn't bite.  At
least, that's the way it was before all this happened.  The lockout has
pointed out to us just how much of the money a relatively few players take
from the rest.  Before Michael Jordan, good as he is, was able to win it
all, he needed the role players around him.  Without them, he may be a
 “star” but he doesn't win championships.  Therefore, my case is made that
those role players deserve to make some of that money.
    I have a question that perhaps one of our lawyers could answer.  If the
players did decertify the union, wouldn't that void their contracts?
Wouldn't the negotiating for contracts have to start all over again when
they reorganized?  I agree with Tommy Heinsohn - the players don't have a
clue.  You will notice, among all those articles Way of the Ray has sent to
our attention, there were a coule of instances when the reporters said
things such as Stockton being shouted down at the player's meetings.  That
tells us he was trying to be the voice of reason and they were having none
of it.  I doubt they're as unified as they'd like us to believe.
    One other thing as long as I'm on my soap box - if Michael Jordan hasn't
decided whether or not to retire, don't you think he should declare one way
or the other before he keeps shooting his mouth off?

Dorine