Fw: BIRD EXCEPTION

Thank you Dorine for answering my question on the Bird Rights... for anyone
lurking still clueless I hope this clears your understanding.

See below for Mourning's case. Why don't they enforce the "3 consecutive
seasons on the same team" rule. It seems the rule currently is "3
consecutive season in the league".  If a player is trade on his last year
of contract, his contract is automatically extended for another 3 years,
till regains his Bird rights.

For free agents, they have to play for the team for a set contract (e.g 5
mil/year for all teams) and once 3 years has past he can be signed under
the Bird Rights.
But as I wrote that, I think teams can take advantage by using a player for
3 years and when he set for his Bird Right, he gets traded again and has to
play for 3 years till he gets his rights. The cycle can go on and on....

Any opinions??

Ritesh Ramani
ramani_rite@bentley.edu