Re: Prediction and url

damekmo@teleport.com wrote:

<snip>

> >The owners have offered them 52% of
> >revenues.  The players have no capital invested, yet are guaranteed more
> >of the money than the owners.  Additionally, all their travel, meals,
> >etc etc has to be paid by the owners out of their 48% stake.  Plus other
> >expenses and operating costs.  The players have none of the risk, but
> >get 52% of the revenues.  Pretty damn good deal.  Think GM will agree to
> >a contract like that?
>
> I don't know....but if GM had just spent the past decade marketing the guy
> at the spot welder and he was the product instead of cars I think we'd have
> a better analogy.

<snip>
> Paul M.
Actually this brings out the problem.  Except for a few players, Bird,
Magic, Jordan, etc., the NBA is a product.  These players average about
5 years in the league and are gone.  Why should they be allowed to
destroy the future for the owners and other players coming along.  Their
ego is telling them that they are the product, when they aren't.  They
don't last any longer than most cars do, then they are replaced for a
new model.  But these cars want for themselves right now, and don't care
at all about the healthy future of the game.

Do you think that Jordan would support the player's position if he
thought that the owners would cancel the season?  No.  He knows if he
misses a year now he can never get back to the top again.  Age and
inactivity will put him beyond the pale then.  What about Muggsy, it is
his last year.  Why does he have to give it up for Falk?

This is stupid.
--
Bentz
bocelts@scsn.net