Re: Jim...$15mil/6 years and I think he'd take it.

Paul,

I mostly agree with your assessment of Walker as a player.  I probably
worry more about the money, though.  15 for Walker, Say 15 combined for
Pierce and Mercer 6 for Anderson and we're at 36 milion for 4 players.
If they can go to 44-48, say, that's 8-12 million for 8 players, one of
whom will be the starting center.  I just don't see the Celtics keeping
those 4 together, unless Pierce and Mercer take around 5 million each
when their turns come.  We're all talking about these four as if they'll
be all-stars.  Under the current system, what team can afford to keep
four all-stars?  Yet, that's what we're counting on.

I think we agree that the Celtics have a very promising core and that
their best chance of keeping it is if these negotiations produce a deal
which restricts the amount that an individual player can make to
something between 10 and 15 million per year.  That's what I'm hoping
for, but I'm not very optimistic.

Jim

PS  Don't worry.  Nice guys finish last.

>From: damekmo@teleport.com
>Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:31:32 -0900
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>Subject: Jim...$15mil/6 years and I think he'd take it.
>
>I'll make it short and sweet (Yeah right.) If it's true...wishful
thinking
>I know...that a new collective bargaining agreement is going to limit
top
>salaries to something under 100 mil., Walker gets signed...yeaterday.
If
>it's not true?
...I think he's the kind of player you build a team around.His
>coach certianly used him that way. And...they won 36 games...

... My first preference is of course to keep Walker and Mercer