Re: Owners now the problem?

I read this article and, admittedly, didn't understand the escrow system
entirely.  It seems to me to be just a way to have a hard cap without
calling it a hard cap, so that the players can save face.  In effect,
the owners sign contracts at will and, if salaries exceed X%, the
players must give back the difference.  Meaning that salaries can not
exceed X%.  A hard cap.  My problem with it is that, given the knowledge
that they can sign any contract and still keep salaries fixed, the
owners will get completely out of control.  Players demands will be even
more irrational, because their actual salary will depend not on the
dollars of the contract, but how it relates to everyone else's contract.
Yet another proposal that sounds to me like it would make the shrinking
middle class problem even worse (they seem to be coming from both sides
now).

The question I have is, what is so horrible about a hard cap?  Why don't
the two sides just sit down, negotiate a fixed percentage of revenues to
go to salaries and pay it.  Not a "cap" per se, but a negotiated fair
ammount for salaries.  The owners would be restricted from signing
contracts above that ammount, but if salaries worked out to be LESS for
a given year, the extra money could be given out in a sort of profit
sharing bonus scheme.  If revenues were lower than expected, the players
would keep what they got, but next year's cap would reflect the adjusted
revenues.  This seems much more in keeping with how most businesses are
run, except the players would have greater influence in setting the
limits because of their collective bargaining power.

Any comments or can anyone enlighten me further on the escrow system
being proposed.  The way I have explained it sounds lousy for both
sides.  Have I missed something?

Jim