Jim...$15mil/6 years and I think he'd take it.

I'll make it short and sweet (Yeah right.) If it's true...wishful thinking
I know...that a new collective bargaining agreement is going to limit top
salaries to something under 100 mil., Walker gets signed...yeaterday. If
it's not true? The all important question you asked me a while ago was,
from what I've heard, does it seem likely that Walker would sign for under
100 mil.? My answer is and always has been, until you negotiate with him
nobody knows. I think he's the kind of player you build a team around.His
coach certianly used him that way. And...they won 36 games. I've said all
along, (Have I said it along?...I know...I've said so much lately
anything's possible.) the difference between Walker and a player like
Abdur-Rahim and /or Keith Van Horn, is that at no time did the pressure to
win games depend on those two players scoring, rebounding and passing every
night "like nobody else can." Both those guys are loved and adored for
having a much more limited game than Walker. It was never Abdur-Rahim's
fault that the team lost (19? wins) when he put up great offensive numbers
but sucked on defense and didn't pass or rebound enough. Van Horn wasn't
expected to do anything else but score and...if there was ever a second
coming of Dominique Wilkins...it's big Keith. Walker was the biggest reason
that team won 36 games...period.  Not the only...but the biggest reason.
And at the age of 22, he should never have been expected to carry that much
of the load (Abdur-Rahim wasn't, Van Horn certainly wasn't)...but he
was....and they won. That team was an injury away from single digit wins.
I've said this before also: You never give up on young talent...especially
all-around talent like Walker's. If this team can't get a decent big minute
outside shooter next year, one who at least is a threat to to shoot better
than 3/21 from three point range, then you seriously consider Mercer in a
package. Unless HE agrees to a cheapo deal. Maybe the CBA takes care of
that too. My first preference is of course to keep Walker and Mercer
because I think Mercer can do it...and I hope everybody's right about
Pierce. But...if you have to choose, if you put the gun to my head...you
keep Walker. And yes, I think he'd accept 15mil/6 years. Concerning
numbers...if they haven't negotiated, your guess is as good as mine.

Paul M.