FWD: Bob Ryan Raves About Lamar Odom/Takes Shot At Antoine

                 [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]

                 [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                 Odom becomes an oasis in the basketball desert
                 By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist, 11/14/98

                 Frustrated by the mutual suicide run that is the
                         NBA lockout and just plain bored in general, I
                 went to Providence Monday night to see the official
                 collegiate debut of Lamar Odom.

                 Full disclosure: I went to the Civic Center as a
                 suspicious and perhaps even downright hostile witness. I
                 went to bury this kid, not to praise him. I could not
                 stomach the hype. I wanted him to be Dontonio Wingfield,
                 yet another useless, overrated player elevated to
                 premature greatness beyond all reason by foolish people
                 whose computers and microphones ought to be confiscated
                 for the good of the sports fan, if not all mankind.

                 So before I issue my report, I would suggest that if you
                 are standing, you sit down, and that if you are sitting
                 down, you might consider stretching out on the nearest
                 sofa.

                 I come to you as Mr. Basketball Conservative, Mr. Hard
                 Marker, Mr. Very Hard To Please, and Mr. Guardian Of The
                 Game's Integrity, and I am here to say that the kid I so
                 wanted to hate turns out to be the most intriguing player
                 to come into the college game since Larry and Magic.

                 No one knows how this will all turn out, of course.
                 Corruption of some sort is the almost inevitable state
                 when a young man progresses through our increasingly
                 reprehensible system, but what I can assure you is that
                 Lamar Odom has a rare gift. Even better, he seems to
                 understand what he has and is unlikely to abuse it, at
                 least in the short run.

                 He comes to us with baggage. There were school changes
                 upon school changes before he landed at the University of
                 Rhode Island, and he stands accused of some sort
                 chicanery with regard to his ACT score. Should he really
                 be in college at all? I surely don't know, and frankly, I
                 don't care, either, because anyone who thinks either
                 Division 1-A football or Division 1 basketball is pure is
                 pathetically naive.

                 I'm just talking basketball here. I love the game,
                 although my fidelity has been put to the test by this
                 sorry NBA spectacle. That is why Lamar Odom is important.
                 It is almost as if he has been placed in our midst to
                 divert our attention from that NBA mess. When you see
                 this kid play the game the way he does, and that means
                 with skill, imagination and - how's this? - joie de
                 vivre, it is a much-needed reminder why we are sports
                 fans in the first place. We are not fans because we enjoy
                 monitoring negotiating sessions. We are fans because
                 certain athletes can perform feats that titillate our
                 senses and emotions.

                 Not since Magic Johnson has anyone been able to make the
                 following statement: Lamar Odom is a completely
                 legitimate 6-foot-10-inch guard. We have endured nearly
                 two decades of wannabes, and now we have the real thing.

                 He is not Magic; he is Lamar. Right now that is quite
                 enough.

                 The bare bones of his debut are easy to document. He
                 submitted a 19-14-9 line while spending most of the game
                 running the team after starting point guard Preston
                 Murphy sprained his ankle. The striking thing is not so
                 much the fact that Odom possesses the technical skill to
                 play point guard at 6-10, but that he is in full
                 possession of the mental requirements of the position. He
                 fulfills Rule 1 of the Bob Cousy litmus test for a point
                 guard. ''When the man passes midcourt,'' quoth The Cooz,
                 ''is he thinking pass first or shoot first?''

                 Odom took 13 shots. He had 9 assists. Any questions?

                 But those are numbers. I saw what he did. He forced
                 nothing for himself. He is selfless to such a fault, I am
                 sure this will be the only conceivable NBA rap (''He
                 won't take over,'' or some such nonsense). Upon finding
                 himself involved in a size mismatch with 5-9 TCU point
                 guard Prince Fowler, he patiently manipulated the
                 situation, not to get himself a shot but to get himself
                 in position to pass over the diminutive guard for an
                 efficient 2 for, I believe, center Luther Clay.

                 For the chosen few, the game is a deceptively logical
                 exercise. Odom already knows what many a contemporary
                 multi-time NBA All-Star doesn't, and I won't even stoop
                 to compare his elevated understanding of the game to that
                 of a certain locally based ''veteran'' All-Star.

                 He plays a no-frills, fundamentals-based game that would
                 be recognizable to someone who hadn't seen an NBA contest
                 since Bill Russell retired. Imagine. No wiggles. No
                 dances. No finger-pointing. Not even any needless
                 between-the-legs dribbles.

                 ''Basketball is a simple game,'' he explained after
                 making the winning basket. ''You don't need to make it
                 fancy. I don't think it's that hard. You can make it easy
                 on yourself by thinking one play ahead.''

                 About that basket. ''They were in a zone,'' he recounted.
                 ''Coach [Jim Harrick] told me to attack with eight
                 seconds left. I put on a hard dribble and got an easy
                 layup.''

                 Did he say, '' easy layup ''? The basket in question was
                 a Gervinesque 6- or 8-foot finger roll. Degree of
                 difficulty: 2.2.

                 With Odom in the lineup, URI, which plays archenemy
                 Providence in a sold-out Civic Center today, is capable
                 of beating anybody in the country. The Rams won't,
                 naturally, but they could. But that's not the point for
                 us neutrals. The point is that we don't care whether the
                 NBA players will get 50, 52, 57, or 99 percent of the
                 gross. We don't care that Kenny Anderson might have to
                 sell off one of his eight luxury cars. We don't care that
                 (owners don't seem to have the simple capacity to say no
                 when it comes to signing these people ($5 million a year
                 for Jim McIlvaine?). Most fans have moved from apathy to
                 ''Go away and don't bother me, and I hope you all get
                 jock itch.''

                 The point is that we do have basketball. College
                 basketball. I don't want to burden Lamar Odom with being
                 a savior, but I can assure you he already brings more to
                 the table than 90 percent of the current NBA population.

                 Who could have imagined a night in Providence would be so
                 uplifting?

                 Bob Ryan is a Globe columnist.

                 This story ran on page G01 of the Boston Globe on
                 11/14/98.
                 © Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.