FWD: Peter Vecsey: Calipari Pissed Off & More

                               [New York Post]
                                    SPORTS

                                 A NET LOSS FOR CAL

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    You don't need a wiretap on John Calipari's
                    temper to know he's not taking this calmly.
                    Seems to me he has every reason to feel
                    stiffed, neglected and demoted to some
                    degree. WHAT are the Nets' new owners
                    thinking about? Why would Ray Chambers and
                    Lewis Katz reward team president/chief
                    operating officer Michael Rowe with a gift
                    of one percent (worth $1.5 million) of the
                    club and give nothing to coach/executive VP
                    John Calipari? How could they purchase the
                    team without fingering the one truly
                    responsible for reversing the
                    organization's sullied image and
                    re-establishing its success?

                    Don't tell me Coach Cal is losing his
                    boorish powers of persuasion? I'm actually
                    starting to feel bad for him. Even if he
                    weren't so consumed with conceit, the
                    owner's merit system (which also rewarded
                    Nets executives Willis Reed, Jim Lamparillo
                    and other loyal lifers with one-tenth of
                    one percent; watch how fast they try to
                    sell at the first hint of a cash call to
                    cover losses) must be a massive, deflating
                    ego experience.

                    You don't need a wiretap on Calipari's
                    temper to know he's not taking this calmly.
                    Seems to me he has every reason to feel
                    stiffed, neglected and demoted to some
                    degree. If Rowe is now an owner, that means
                    Calipari has lost some control of a front
                    office he needs to dominate to sufficiently
                    feed his narcissism.

                    Not that having checks and balances in any
                    operation is a bad thing. But that's
                    assuming the two decision makers harbor
                    mutual respect. I don't know much about
                    their relationship, but I suspect there are
                    precious few opinions outside of his own
                    that matter to Calipari.

                    Who's more important to ownership? Calipari
                    sees himself as the one who's guided the
                    club to prominence. Rowe sees himself as
                    the one who'll bring the club to Newark.

                    I can hear his howling from here. If
                    Calipari can't be the exclusive commander
                    and chief, then the new owners better be
                    prepared to compensate him for his lost
                    face and mental suffering when he has the
                    option to skate out of the remaining two
                    years of his contract at the end of this
                    season. You can smell the renegotiation
                    attempt burning in his brain.

                    It'll never happen! Coach Cal will be lucky
                    to last a lockout-shortened season.
                    According to my unofficial calculation,
                    he's one embarrassing moment (to the team
                    or the owners) away from being deported.
                    Judging by the Nets owners' actions,
                    they've already picked up a strong scent of
                    his instability, egocentricity and players'
                    distaste for him.

                    Whenever anyone asks Jayson Williams these
                    days about his affection for Calipari, I
                    cringe as he's saying all the right things
                    about his former tormentor. It's
                    unnecessary to cover the club on as much as
                    an irregular basis to know he means none of
                    it.

                    Now I ask you, once Williams gets paid what
                    he's earned for his invaluable
                    on-and-off-the-court contribution to the
                    franchise, and suddenly is feeling
                    fabulously secure, how quickly do you think
                    it'll take him to lead a revolt? DESPITE
                    the lack of practice, it's encouraging to
                    see Karl Malone already in
                    mid-renegotiation form. Naturally, he wants
                    to be traded by the Jazz. He's figured it
                    out, new system or old, owner Larry Miller
                    can't justify overpaying him as much as a
                    bigger-market team like the Lakers (as we
                    all know, Karl insists on playing with a
                    dominate center yet, surprisingly, still
                    demands franchise-player salary). At least
                    not without going out of business.

                    As insulting as Malone can be when it
                    serves his purpose, it's doubtful he'll be
                    able to provoke himself out of Salt Lake
                    City. (Unless the Nets want to swap Keith
                    Van Horn, who, perhaps, is the only player
                    who'd be acceptable in return). Clearly,
                    the Relics, er, Jazz, can't afford to trade
                    him when their chances of winning a
                    championship are enhanced by an abbreviated
                    season and the possibility that Michael
                    Jordan may retire. On second thought, if I
                    were Miller I'd seriously consider honoring
                    Malone's wishes. There's nothing more
                    dangerous than a disgruntled postal worker.
                    TALK about warped rationale: For the life
                    of me, I can't figure out why the owners
                    opted out of the Collective Bargaining
                    Agreement because the players banked 57.8
                    percent of all basketball-related income,
                    and now refuse to agree to a settlement
                    that would give them 60 percent? You don't
                    have to be the executive director of the
                    union to know how much sense that makes.

                    Contrary to reports, Stephon Marbury did
                    not dump Marc Fleisher and hire David Falk
                    because Falk promised more money come
                    contract time next summer. No, it was about
                    a blown sneaker deal with Fila at a time
                    when shoe companies have drastically cut
                    back on what they pay athletes to endorse
                    their wear.

                    Fleisher - thinking the same bargaining
                    stance would pressure Fila the same way it
                    worked on the Timberwolves when he did
                    Kevin Garnett's $122M deal, rejected a
                    3-year offer of $1.8M per. A couple months
                    later, Fila lowered its proposal to $1.2M
                    per (as opposed to the T'Wolves, who raised
                    Garnett's bar from $17M per to $22M).

                    Shortly, thereafter, Fila again lowered its
                    offer, this time to 600G per, prompting
                    Marbury to leave Fleisher.

                    It's understandable why the league is
                    having such a rough time getting Patrick
                    Union to compromise, much less show up and
                    negotiate. Is it any wonder he's so spoiled
                    and stubborn? After all, he's used to
                    walking into the Garden office of Dave
                    Checketts and telling him exactly how much
                    he wants. In light of what Garnett got,
                    Patrick's probably ticked off his $17M per
                    number was so small.

                    This has been bothering me of late: If the
                    Bulls wind up winning it all this season
                    under Tim Floyd, do you think it'll hurt
                    Phil Jackson's market value?