Re: FWD: Peter Vecsey: Calipari Pissed Off & More

Hi Mark
You're post was a good eye-opener for me. Even if what Vecsey says is
true (hey, I kind of bought it), it still is bad journalism because of
the dropped innuendos and twisted/unsupported claims. In the eyes of
many readers, I think it would be a toss up who is more egomaniacal and
self-absorbed, the writer or his subject. But getting to my point, let's
remember that Vecsey is not pretending to be anything he's not
(objective and fair-minded). It's all part of what makes the New York
tabloid style of sports journalism fun to follow, against our more noble
sensibilities. I actually prefer Vecsey to the New York Times
sportswriters, whom I find way too bland in style and shallow in
substance for any but the most casual, pseudo sports fan. On a few
occasions, I've bought the NYT and not even bothered to glance at the
sports section - something I'd personally NEVER do with even a small
town newspaper in, say, Bulgaria.  I have to assume that all those aging
Pulitzer Prize winning sports writers at NYT are merely resting on their
laurels from the 1960s-70s. I guess they have the equivalence of a
tenure position.

Joe

****