Re: Pitino... and I'll stop

<< Well...if not...where was his coach? I don't think it's unreasonable to
 suggest that this might be an example of bad coaching. Does Pitino bear any
 responsibility for this? And has this helped Walker develop an inside game?
 Is Pitino responsible for getting that accomplished? I don't know...if the
 kid continues to do stupid things...sit him down. Don't keep putting him
 out there and "letting" him do it. Unless of course...you actually want him
 to because...you need somebody doing that in order to win.

 Paul M. >>

Well, I somewhat agree with you here. I have mentioned before that IPitino
chews out everybody during the games except Walker. Even when Walker would do
something stupid,  Pitino would call timeout and then proceed to chew out
Billups for getting them in this situation or his favorite whipping boy,
McCarty, for just being around or some play 20 minutes ago. I came to the
conclusion that Walker was the type that couldn't be chewed out publicly. I
believe I remember Tom Heinson saying in one of his books that Cousy was the
same way and Red had his own whipping boy (it may have been Tommy-Gun). Well,
people have mentioned that Walker was upset over Pitino chewing him out in the
locker room the game after he had that 60 point night against the Bullets. I
remember the press conference following the game and the reporters were asking
Pitino about Walker. Now, Walker, IMO, in that game after was not doing his
normal playmaking but was only looking for his shot, something you expect a
young player to do after he had a career night shooting. The reporters also
sensed this and asked Pitino directly about Walker. Pitino responded that
Walker will have to do other things other than just score for this team to
win, he would have to rebound and pass like only he can. This was the total
sum of Pitino's public criticism, if you can call it that, of Walker. No
public threshing like every other player has taken. IMO, Pitino gives Walker
special treatment, superstar treatment. How Walker and others don't see this
is beyond me. IMO, any rift between Walker and Pitino is coming from Walker. I
guess he feels he is above criticism, not just on court like everyone else,
but also locker room, etc.; just like he is above off-season workouts,
something veteran all-stars never do...

DJessen33