Re: malone stunt...basic move...

Hi Jaime:

What irritates me about the ESPN article is how Malone refers to himself
in the third person, as though he's some sort of historical figure (e.g.
"It's time for Karl to move on...There's no loyalty to Karl Malone").

I wonder why athletes do this sort of thing (Wade Boggs was another
classic case). You don't often hear politicians or show biz people doing
it (e.g. "It's time for Newt Gingrich to change his first name from that
of a slimy, aquatic salamander").

As for Alex Wang's trade suggestion, I think the Celtics with Karl
Malone would actually be as good as or better on paper (as opposed to
team chemistry) than last year's Jazz team. So this trade would provide
a real test of Pitino's coaching skills. The only reason I would oppose
the trade is because Pitino's full-court philosophy might wear out a
35-year-old guy much faster than if he played on a Bulls, Knicks or
Pace-makers type team. I think this is a reasonable concern. I also
sense that Antoine will have a genuine breakthrough year this season,
particularly if but not necessarily because he's playing for his next
contract.

Joe

p.s. great posts all week, IMO. The last two digests were really pretty
informative for me. Go Celtics.

****