Re: Tim Duncan

>>Somebody won...somebody lost. Why? Anything to do with the direction of the
>>team?
>
>No.  Had everything to do with an idiot GM who was fired within two years
>of this confict as the Knicks fell near the bottom of the division.

Doesn't mean there wasn't a conflict in philosophy about the direction of
the team. Look, I'm not saying this was the only thing involved. Just that
it was part of it.

>>Pitino saw the writing on the wall, just as the Knicks saw that Pitino-ball
>>was a loser in the playoffs.
>
>Wrong.  He saw that the Knicks were severely lacking in talent and was
>forced out because of his attempts to get the Knicks to draft or acquire
>players who could take them to the next level.  Al Bianchi feared for his job
>and basically forced Pitino to Kentucky.

And Pitino's advice wasn't taken because....? I don't care whether you
think he was right or wrong. He was shut out because....? Nothing to do
with basketball philosophy? They thought he wanted the wrong player
perhaps.

>>You and Kim keep mentioning a "power struggle." This had "nothing" to do
>>with which person was going to make decisions concerning the future of
>>the team and what they were going to do?
>
>Everything.

Thanks...what I've been getting at.

>And history proved Pitino correct.  Al Bianchi was fired quicker
>than a bong at a Grateful Dead show, the Knicks went nowhere until hiring
>Riley, and Ewing still hasn't delivered a championship yet.

And Riley got them to the Finals...Ewing was showcased and still is, just
ask Allan Houston...and all those running teams winning championships in
the 90's prove Pitino right?

>>And especially how Ewing was going to be used...that is...you either go
>>with a guard oriented offense or you play Ewing and a shot? Pitino got it
>>wrong.
>
>Poppycock.  If this was all it took, why hasn't Ewing won yet?

Don't care whether it's worked. It's where they went. That organization,
for better or worse was going to make Ewing the centerpiece of that
offense....and they did.

>Maybe because
>he isn't capable of dominating an entire game, forget a seven game series?
>Maybe because he's not a leader and all the great players are leaders who
>make those around them better?  Maybe because, basically, Ewing is a
>great second option?

Could be right...doesn't matter.

Look...we could go back and forth on this all day long, but it's ancient
history. You'll find Knick fans today who hate the guy because they think
he bailed on them. There are fans like you who think the Knicks made a huge
mistake and should've just given the Knicks over to Pitino. They
didn't..and he did leave. I have no doubt that he went back to college to
be in total control, something he couldn't get in New York. Because they
didn't believe in the end it was going to work. The incompetent may have
won the arguement, but their story was believed, and not Rick's.
Now...we'll see what happens. Maybe I'm all wrong and Kim's right about
this being the beginning of another Golden Age. All I'm saying is that this
franchise has bet the farm on a guy who's never won anything at this level.
This continues to appear to me like a great experiment. It just seems like
he's out to prove the rest of the NBA wrong...come hell or high water. I
don't trust his personnel moves. I'm not sure the system will work because
defenses have gotten better. And I don't believe the guy or that system
will attract veterans. Another year out of the playoffs and it's going to
be hard getting them to believe they have a chance to win. Jesus Christ...I
hope this season starts soon and Pitino takes this freakin' team to the
playoffs with or without Walker. I don't care who's on the team
anymore...just play some games and start winning. I can't stand the sight
of David Stern and that God-awful beard anymore. I'm sick of the whole lot
of them.

Paul M.