Re: Tim Duncan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Meninno <jim_meninno@hotmail.com>

Let me take a shot at answering your questions:

>Let's start with Walker.  Obviously you want him signed when the lockout
>is over.  Well, Paul, how high would you go?  What do you think he's
>worth?

I would find Walker's market value and would sign him to a contract at that
value.

>I happen to think once you get over 10-12 million  per year for
>any player you're really limiting the rest of your team.

I don't agree with you, if the Larry Bird exception stays and the C's manage
their cap well, they will have a great nucleus of four players and therefore
have a chance to contend. I am also of the belief that any team spending
less than 40 mill dollars under the current CBA on salaries has no shot at a
championship.  (Utah is an exception).

>Don't you
>think you need two or three players of that caliber to win the
>championship.  Or do you think Antoine's going to lead a team to a
>dynasty on his own?

Between Walker, Anderson, Mercer and Pierce, I think we potentially have
those 3 or 4 players.

> If not, do you think, from what you've heard, that he's likely to take
that kind of money?

No he will not, why should he? It will be disastrous move on his part.

>It's different if all the
>players are in place already, of course.  If you've got Scottie Pippen
>in place for 8 years at relative chump change and an adequate supporting
>cast, well sure, go ahead and give Jordan whatever you can afford.

Scottie Pippen's contract was not chump change when he signed, the Bulls
liked what they saw in Pippen, and made a long term commitment and therefore
are reaping it's benefits

>Personally, I don't think the Celtics are in that position right now.

It's a judgement call, we have a great nucleus of young players. The front
office has a year to make the decision, why not wait and let these players
before making any kind of rash decision.

>I love Paul, I think he's so helpful and smart.  I wish he were running
>the Celtics right now,

After readng all these weird rumours floating around, I wish it was Paul
rather than RP running the celtics.

         - Mishra