Re: A few of my favorite rumors.

In a message dated 11/3/98 9:31:08 AM Central Standard Time,
damekmo@teleport.com writes:

> My record on this stuff is....well.....I've said before I thought Ed
>  O'Bannon was a can't miss star in the NBA and still think that Pierce is
>  going to be a marginal talent, so.....I never got the Clippers pick of
>  Olowakandi over Bibby. After watching Kidd and Bibby play a ton of games in
>  college...I agree with the above concerning Bibby. Olowakandi played
>  against nobody. I could be totally wrong but I'm going to guess that the
>  speed of NBA play and the defensive pressure/physical play by athletes his
>  size are going to make Olowadandi resemble a deer staring into the
>  headlights of an oncoming truck. Bibby is (God help him) a can't miss star
>  point guard. He's obviously not going to rebound like Kidd, so perhaps it
>  would be more appropriate to say, at the moment, he's Marbury with a better
>  jump shot. After Payton's gone it'll be Bibby and Iverson as the best
>  points in the league.

Boy, Paul. You and I definitely disagree on our assessment of talent. I was a
UCLA fan for twenty-five years until they fired Harrick. Anyways, I saw
O'Bannon in many games I always thought he would be a bust. He just could
never hit a jump shot or big bucket if his life depended on it! I was
obviously right on this one. (I also thought El Busto-Tony Battie was a sure-
fire star. So far, wrong, but it takes a while to develop the big guys.) I
think Bibby will have a career in the NBA but he will never be a star. He just
doesn't have the body. I see him as a Abdul-Rauf type. I felt Mercer and
Pierce were equal in talent as sophmores. The jury is still out on him for me
but perhaps he can be a Adrian Dantley type (knows how to use that big butt).
I'm totally out to lunch on LaFrenz. Is he a future McHale, Laettner or a
Ferry? Too bad there just isn't that many white guys in the NBA that we can
compare him to <g>.

DJessen33