Providence Journal article dated 23 June 98

Hi,

I thought this might be interesting:

1. Article comment on Bonzi Wells
I remember reading some reports (after the draft) saying when Pierce was
available to the C's, Pistons were trying deal offering Bonzi. Since Bonzi
has no interest in coming to Boston, then the rumour must be B.S.

2. No.10 a starter?
Seems like it now, doesn't it? If we still have Pierce after the lock out,
that is.

3. AW and 100mil
Wise move to negotiate after the CBA, isn't it?

Best regards to everybody
Kevin/Singapore

6.23.98 00:02:30
Pitino's eyes now open to the beauty of a 10
General manager Chris Wallace convinces him that there's talent where
the Celts select in tomorrow's draft.
By MIKE SZOSTAK
Journal-Bulletin Sports Writer
A month ago, Rick Pitino was not thrilled about holding the 10th pick in
the NBA Draft. The president and head coach of the Boston Celtics
doubted that any player available at No. 10 would be able to start for his
team.
Now, true to his penchant for changing his mind and putting a positive
spin on things, Pitino can't wait for the roll call of next season's
rookies to
begin tomorrow in Vancouver.
``We're looking forward to this draft. Chris was right, as he usually is,''
Pitino said yesterday during a meeting with reporters at the Celtics'
headquarters in Boston.
General manager Chris Wallace, also present, has said all along that there
is talent in every draft and evidently has convinced his boss to think the
same way.
``I did not think No. 10 would benefit us too much,'' Pitino said. ``I was
looking to trade it more. I think this draft can go to about 13 and help
anybody, and then there's tremendous dropoff.''
Studying the draft and working out several players resulted in the change
of heart, Pitino said. And everybody in the organization -- Pitino,
Wallace, head scout Leo Papile, assistant coaches and scouts -- agrees
on the players the Celtics have targeted.
If they retain their pick -- Pitino said that's 85 percent certain -- the
Celtics will draft a forward or center, even if the best player available
is a
point guard or shooting guard. Five big men were supposed to have
worked out for the Celtics last week. They are Keon Clark, a 6-foot-10
forward from UNLV; Pat Garrity, a 6-9 forward from Notre Dame;
Brian Skinner, a 6-10 forward from Baylor; Ansu Sesay, a 6-9 forward
from Mississippi, and Rashad Lewis, a 6-10 high-school center from
Texas.
Pitino would divulge no names. He did say that two players who visited
were disappointing from basketball and conditioning standpoints and are
no longer under consideration. He was pleasantly surprised by the others,
he said, and mentioned that if the Celtics get one of their top three
candidates, he could well start next season.
There is little chance the Celtics will draft Lewis unless they trade their
pick.
Wallace mentioned that Al Harrington, the other high-schooler in the
draft, is ready to play now, but Lewis has more potential because of his
height and athleticism.
Two players, Robert Traylor of Michigan and Bonzi Wells of Ball State,
declined invitations to visit Boston.
``(Traylor) must feel that he's going before 10. That doesn't bother me.
Bonzi Wells turned us down because we have Ron Mercer,'' Pitino said.
The Celtics still might draft Traylor, if he is available. Pitino recruited
him
in high school. Wallace knows him. Papile knows him extremely well.
Two significant factors are influencing the Celtics: Antoine Walker's
contract status and Pervis Ellison's history of injuries. Walker has a year
remaining on his original three-year rookie deal. He would like to sign a
long-term contract, say $100 million for six years, before the start of
next
season. The Celtics understandably are reluctant to commit such a large
sum for a player with only two years of experience.
If the two sides don't reach an agreement between July and October,
assuming, of course, there is no lockout on July 1, then Walker will test
the free agent market next summer.
The Celtics, however, won't let negotiations reach that point.
``If we didn't think we could sign Antoine Walker or any player, we
would make a trade to improve the team,'' Pitino said. The Celtics would
expect enormous salary cap relief and a player in return for their All-Star
forward.
Walker is worth $100 million, Pitino said, ``. . . for who pays it. If
somebody is willing to pay it, he's worth it.''
But Pitino understands why chairman Paul Gaston is wary about such a
huge contract.
``Why not sign (Walker)? Well, if you're working for General Electric,
your job is to make money. Everybody is there being paid,
well-compensated, to make money. If you're losing money, you don't
have a business, so I understand the Gastons. The Gastons are more than
fair, but on the other hand they don't want to lose money. They don't
necessarily have to make a great deal of money but they don't want to go
in the red. I can't blame them for that,'' Pitino said.
Ellison, who could help the Celtics up front, missed most of last season
with yet another injury.
``Pervis worked out with us yesterday,'' Pitino said ``He's over the ankle
injury. I think you have to be optimistic but realistic. Optimistic in
terms of
if Pervis can give you 60 games in a given season it would be great;
realistic saying he hasn't done that yet.''