latte: What's Hot at LATimes.com 3.02

LATTE - What's Hot at LATimes.com.
Friday, May 22, 1998      Vol. 3, Issue 2
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/LATTE/?MAIL >

For the fastest Net connection in your home, MediaOne Express
is here. 50X faster. 50%off. http://www.latimes.com/mediaone-t

It has been a while, hasn't it?

For those of you who are new to Latte, this is a biweekly e-mail
update about the newest sections of the Los Angeles Times Web site.

This mail is sent ONLY to people who have registered at our site,
and only to people who chose during registration to receive mail.

If you've lost your password to our member services, or for
information on unsubscribing, see the bottom of this e-mail.

Now, let me show you what we've been up to!

======================
IN THIS ISSUE:
======================

WHAT'S NEW
 CalendarLive! - The premiere guide to what's happening in L.A.
 Dodgers40 - Reminisce on 40 years of Dodgers history
 Politics - Prepare for Election '98 with our multimedia coverage

SPECIAL REPORTS
 Schools - California education's perilous slide
 Sinatra - Remembering a legend
 Times 100 - An in-depth look at California companies
 Forum - The race for governor

CALENDARLIVE!
 Summer Sneaks - Cool movies for hot days and nights
 MetaHollywood - Crossroads: Looking at 1997 and beyond.
 Great Outdoors - In and around Orange County

SPORTS
 Playoffs - NBA and NHL competition heats up
 Piazza Trade - Check back for continuing coverage

AROUND THE SITE
 Punch Lines - Get new jokes each day
 Web Cam - See if the Entertainment Czar is in
 Today's Paper - Skim quickly through today's print edition
 Pulitzer Awards - Times wins two; see the complete package

======================
WHAT'S NEW
======================

CALENDARLIVE!
 Your one-stop Southern California guide to arts, entertainment,
 recreation and dining. Here you'll find everything you need to
 know to have a great night out or a fun day in the sun.
< http://www.calendarlive.com/?MAIL >

DODGERS40
 In a team effort, the Times and the Los Angeles Dodgers have
 assembled a retrospective of 40 years of baseball in Los Angeles.
 Journey through the timeline, listen to audio clips and get
 reacquainted with the most remarkable personalities in baseball.
< http://www.dodgers40.com/?MAIL >

POLITICS
 We've revamped the politics section and added local, state and
 national news categories. Look up who represents you in Congress
 or check out our voter guide, in English and Spanish.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/POLITICS/?MAIL >

======================
SPECIAL REPORTS
======================

PUBLIC EDUCATION'S PERILOUS SLIDE
 Statewide standardized test scores are well below the national
 average, and huge numbers of students need remedial math and
 reading. Search for your school's statistics in our database.
 It's all laid out in grim detail in this Times special project.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/REPORTS/SCHOOLS/?MAIL >

SINATRA: 1915-1998
 Sinatra's fame transcended his unique musical and acting talents.
 Remember a legend with music clips and an interactive memorial,
 as well as complete Times coverage of his life and legacy.
< http://www.latimes.com/sinatra/?MAIL >

GOVERNOR'S FORUM
 Republican Dan Lungren and Democrats Al Checchi, Gray Davis and
 Jane Harman illuminated their positions and hammered away at one
 another in this TV broadcast archived at the Times. Use the Real
 Player and see where your candidate stands.
< http://www.latimes.com/gov/?MAIL >

TIMES 100
 The Times 100, our annual guide to the best and biggest
 in California business, ranks public companies by revenue,
 profits and other financial data. Get addresses and officers,
 search the archives and get longer charts than the newspaper had.
< http://www.latimes.com/times100/?MAIL >

======================
CALENDARLIVE!
======================

SUMMER SNEAKS
 It must be summer in Hollywood. Mel Gibson grabs a gun, animals
 talk, lovers meet, and the studios pray for a heat wave.
 We've got the goods on 100 movies between now and Labor Day.
< http://www.calendarlive.com/HOME/CALENDARLIVE/MOVIES/SUMMER/?MAIL >

METAHOLLYWOOD
 Tomorrowland Never Dies: What's a theme park to do when its
 vision of the future looks, well, a little dated?
 Find out in our Entertainment Technology News section.
< http://www.latimes.com/metahollywood/?MAIL >

GREAT OUTDOORS
 From skydiving and cyclecross to camping and baseball, this guide
 to Orange County recreation has hundreds of fun ideas for those,
 what're-we-gonna-do days.
< http://www.calendarlive.com/HOME/CALENDARLIVE/RECREATION/GREAT98/?MAIL >

======================
SPORTS
======================

PIAZZA TRADED AGAIN
 In another blockbuster trade, Mike Piazza was dealt today from
 the Florida Marlins to the New York Mets just seven days after
 the Marlins got the All-Star catcher from the Los Angeles Dodgers.
< http://www.latimes.com/piazza/topstory.html?MAIL >

PLAYOFFS
 Basketball and hockey--we've got them both covered in our
 expanded sports section.  Follow your favorite teams right here.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/SPORTS/NBA/PLAYOFFS/?MAIL >
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/SPORTS/NHL/PLAYOFFS/?MAIL >

======================
AROUND THE SITE
======================

PUNCH LINES
These jokes and more are available daily at
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/LIFE/LAUGHS/?MAIL >

* In Quarter Time: The U.S. Army has spent $400,000 on a new
  washing machine that can wash 400 pounds of clothes in an
  hour. "Unfortunately, it takes 6,000 quarters to do one
  load." (Premiere Radio)
* Cents-ibility: The 32-cent stamp will go up one penny later
  this year. "The Postal Service says the hike has nothing
  to do with delivery expenses. It's the high price of
  ammunition." (Argus Hamilton)
* Hi-Fi Needy: A new study says 37% of Washington, D.C., is in
  desperate need of literacy. "And 97% are in desperate need
  of fidelity." (Rudolph J. Cecera)

WEB CAM
 Nothing's as satisfying as watching other people work!
 Take a peek and see if our entertainment editor is in:
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/HELP/WEBSITE/WEBCAM/?MAIL >

TODAY'S PAPER
 Browse quickly through the stories from today's newspaper,
 organized by section, page by page.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/FRONT/?MAIL >

PULITZERS '98
 The Los Angeles Times has won two 1998 Pulitzer Prizes: one
 for breaking news and one feature photography. See
 the complete coverage and links to the web packages.
< http://www.latimes.com/HOME/NEWS/REPORTS/PULITZER_98/?MAIL >

======================
SPONSORSHIP
   (leave the body of the e-mail completely blank).
2) If you subscribed with a different address than the one
   you're currently at, put your old e-mail address in the
   body of the e-mail.  Don't include anything else.
3) If you continue to receive latte, send e-mail to lat.lists@latimes.com
   with the words "MANUAL UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject.

To SUBSCRIBE,
1) Go to < http://www.latimes.com/HOME/REGISTER/?MAIL >
   (This is case sensitive.)
2) Register! (It's FREE, and lets you use Hunter and the
   Archives, Discussions and Crosswords, as well as Latte.)
3) At the bottom of the page, answer "YES" to the question
   "Would you like to receive..."

To CHANGE TO OR FROM HTML, OR TO CHANGE YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS,
1) Go to < http://www.latimes.com/HOME/MEMBER/?MAIL >
   (This is case sensitive)
2) Select "Change Your Member Info"
3) At the bottom of the page, answer "HTML mail" to the question
   "Would you prefer to receive e-mail from us in regular
   or HTML format?"
4) Type your new e-mail address over your old one.

ADMINISTRIVIA

To reach a real human, write to <feedback@latimes.com>.
Please include your e-mail address and L.A. Times member name
in the body of your message.

If you are interested in advertising on our Web site or in this
update, please write to <advertise@latimes.com>.

Copyright 1997 Los Angeles Times.  All Rights Reserved.
Please forward in entirety as appropriate.