Re: FA money and draft

At 5:49 -0700 5/18/98, Josh Ozersky wrote:

>As for the draft, anyone who believes Pitino when he talks about
>drafting Nazr Mohammed at ten should have his head examined.  I hope
>he will use the pick to unload Travis Knight, whom I can't stand the
>sight of, but if he keeps it, there are some intriguing talents.

It amazes me how people just unquestioningly accept that the best use of
the #10 pick is to unload Travis's contract (unloading Pervis would
conceivably be better, but it's not realistic). Now, how did the #10 pick
draw this assignment? Less than a year ago, 9 players were ditched to sign
this savior of the Celtics Franchise, code-named "Huge Upside", to a long,
lucrative contract. Now we're baldly told that we  must give up our pick to
rid ourselves of the savior and his contract, and nobody utters a peep!
Where's the media outcry? Where's the outrage from the fans, whose
favorites Rick Fox and Marty Conlon were unceremoniously dumped to sign
this loser? (I won't get into the Mills, Billups, Williams, and Massenburg
fiascoes). Pitino may be a great coach, but when people suggest that we
should trust his judgment to pick the best available players, I just shake
my head in disbelief. His only player acquisitions successes have been
drafting (his own player) Mercer, signing DeClercq (not a major signing),
and the (lucky & obvious) trade with desperate Toronto. This isn't very
impressive when compared against his long list of failures in this critical
facet of his job.

K. Kveraga