Greg Minor's issues

I have been surprised that the Greg Minor/SI cover didn't get any attention
on this list. It got a lot of attention locally with the Globe's Peter May
battling local tv sportsguy Bob Lobell. Lobell interviewed Minor to get his
side of the story. May interviewed the mother of the children for her side
of the story. They obviously, as a result, see the story from completely
different angles. The debate ran along the lines of: is he a scumbag or is
he not?

The Lobell interview (and a Herald interview) tried to temper what we
already knew from the original Globe article. Minor claims that the reason
he hasn't seen his kids is that he doesn't have custody. He is not allowed.
He does call and provided phone records to boost his claim. He was also
photographed with his new fiance at his condo for the Herald story.

My take on it is this: he was young and stupid and got involved in what I
like to call a "toxic" relationship....bad from the start, not meant to be
together. They had three kids together though. He broke it off, she's
bitter. He is NOT the best father in the world, and when his contract was
renewed for big bucks, she went after his money...she can't force him to
see his kids, but she can force him to pay. Bitter, bitter and money,
money. She let loose with the media stories (he did admit to beating her
and pouring Cognac on her) and his reputation was toast. He's trying his
hardest to NOW be the father that HE never had, ironically. I think he has
a bigger aversion to the mother than the kids, of course. He also got an
injunction barring the mother from using the kids picture on a magazine
cover again. And, of course, it's always the kids who get hurt when two
adults who should not be together or procreate, do.

It's a sad, but common story.

Theresa