RE: GEIGER/The Plan

As a service to all of us open-minded objective Celtic fans, would one of big Geiger supporters please respond to whether they NOW think signing Geiger is a good idea.  I think Stickpin has a great point regarding RP's attitude to Eric Williams and his quick trigger in dumping him.  With this precedence their is little doubt that Geiger will be a big struggle to fit into the current system.  Bakers performance and attitude over the last few days for Seattle, don't enamor him to me regarding future plans as well.

I am starting to lean strongly towards not pinning all our FA money on at best one of the 2nd rate centers available.  Get one out of the draft and/or concentrate on the lesser is more plan at center and go for the star player at PF, moving AW to the 3, and using our current folks.

I believe to complete the big picture the scenario's are these:

Plan A						Plan B						Plan C

PG: Anderson				PG: Anderson				PG: Anderson
SG: Mercer					SG: Mercer					SG: FA/draft
SF:  draft/current players	SF: Walker					SF: Mercer
PF: Walker					PF: FA						PF: Walker
C:   FA/current players		C:   draft/current players	C:   draft/current players

To succeed to the championship level, we need 3 all-stars or nearly all-stars.  We have Walker, Mercer, possibly Anderson or FA signee like McDyess at PF.  There is no one at the Center position in the FA market who anyone one of us can expect to play to all-star status based on recent play or expectations, and would easily or gladly play in RP system.  Therefore I believe we should consider looking beyond blowing out entire FA budget on some 2nd rate center, and look at the PF potential or considering playing Mercer at the 3 and signing a solid SG or drafting someone like Benjamin at 10 out of Oregon State.  The draft at center might include Doleac or Traylor, both I believe could fit in well.  For those who think otherwise, there are but only a few non risks in the draft in any decade, let alone year.  At the 10 spot any players are uncertainties.

The remaining 2 full time starters don't have to be all-star caliber players in this league anymore.  They have to be athletic, give it all to the team, stay relatively healthy, and play smart.  With a new player to fill the 3rd spot, Anderson becomes the 4th, leaving only 1 more major piece of the puzzle.  With 4 solids bench players, we should be set.  Currently they are Barros, Bowen, ADQ, McCarty and possibly Knight.

The questions are many; can Walker or Mercer play the 3, and if not who does (FA, current player or draftee),  are there any center FA or draft worth hanging our hats on?  I feel strongly we should try like very hard to pry Stewart out of Sacramento.  If we draft at center and play the current personnel, then do we go after McDyess or Ratliff at PF.  Theo is not an NBA center.

Which plan do you like best, offer a better Plan A or a whole new plan D, F or W (for Winners)
Do we move Knight or our pick or both?  Last year at this time the future was not as bright, and I for one am excited our the off season, waiting for the moves to be made, assuming the league allows for this with the entire CBA mess hanging in the balance.  Let's root for the Pacers and Sonics (to send Clank and the Fakers home early)

Greg