Re: Montross trade

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998 06:12:12 -0500, you e-mailed me these thoughts:

>Anyone who
>knew anything about the players available in the '96 draft could see at
>the time that the trade was a steal for the Celtics, with potentially
>huge upside on the '97 pick.  ML DID see the future on this one.  But
>aren't you the guy who wanted him lynched?

Get real.  ML didn't see shit! This was no different than when he saw
the future with Dana Barros as the savior of the celtics, whom he
signed to a very expensive overly paid contract.

I was very much apart of this email list discussions and the news
groups when the Montross trade went down.  It was seen as a good deal
for the celtics, not a great deal because it was way to early in the
season to see how bad dallas would become.  The reason it was seen as
a good deal on our side was because Montross was playing so poorly and
we were consistently a mediocre team getting mediocre picks.  Getting
most anybody for Montross would have been an improvement. The 1996
draft had a ton of potential from 1 to 9.    A #6 pick was a definite
plus since we were consistently getting the 12- 15 range.  The 1997
dallas #1 was a total unknown and I mean unknown as in ML is not
clairvoyant.

As for the lynching... Someone in this group wanted his number retired
and raised to the rafters.  I replied that he should be hoisted as a
reminder to what will happen to incompetent management.  And as normal
on the internet, people run off with all kind of weird interpretations
of this, when nothing was intended by me in the first place except to
state my displeasure with the damage this guy did to the celtics and
by my amazement that there are people who actually admire this guy.

I am closing the ML thread.  No more posts from me on this subject. I
clearly am comfortable in my mind knowing he was top quality in the
incompetent management area.

-steve

The Boston Celtics Will Hang Banner #17 In The Pitino Palace By 2001!
You Can't Keep The Leprechaun Down For Long...
http://www.tiac.net/users/ChomS/celtics.html
We're Back!!!!!