Re: Pippen

At 09:58 AM 3/24/98 -0800, Greg Odegaard wrote:
<snip much stuff re: Pippen with which I agree>

>Sorry if I misrepresented his cleary obvious talent and great career.  A
>Pippen 4 or 5 years younger would also be a different matter, though I
>still am not on board with his lack of 100% team play, as is the concern
>for many others on this list.

Greg -did you read "The Jordon Rules" when it came out several years ago?
Gave an eye-opening view of the team dynamics on the Bulls. The way I'm
relating it to what you say is that those dynamics would support a theory
that much of Pippen's attitde problems/questions may well have been spawned
by the environment he's been in and if we had him 4-5 years younger might
not be as big a concern. Very cutthroat, everyone out for himself and
visious picking on anyone's apparent weakness, etc. In the locker room, on
the court, at practice, in any and every way possible. Not exactly an
atmosphere to encourage the idea of being a team player.

>P.S.  When it comes to comparing Pippen to Jordan, he is the true
>definition of 2nd fiddle.  Though great he is.

And every time I see someone posting about how tough it is being 2nd fiddle
to MJ, I hear Kevin McHale's voice in my head responding to a parallel
question by acknowledging that he probably wouldn't have been 2nd fiddle
elsewhere, then laughing and saying that 2nd fiddle to Birdy is no bad thing
to be.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net