DEBATE

This whole question of Reggie not playing much as a rookie is moot,
IMO.  Until the last very few years, rookies have not played much in the
Celtics system.  It was always policy to bring them along slowly, except
in the case of one Mr. Bird.  They were also not paid the ridiculous
salaries they are now.  Reggie was a wonderful player and a wonderful
person.  We all loved him and we all grieved for him.  It was a tragedy
of huge proportions to basketball in general and the Celtics in
particular.  I don't believe it's necessary to compare him to today's
players.  It was really a different time with much different, veteran
players for him to learn from and great ones, at that.

I believe both Walker and Mercer will be stars in the league, if not
superstars.  They're very different men and different players, with
different personalities and styles.  I don't see any reason, really, to
choose sides except for the purpose of wondering who they should keep if
they had to make a choice.  I don't really believe it will come to
that.  I can't see Pitino getting rid of either one of them, unless
Gaston cannot afford to pay what Walker will demand.

    Today's game was wonderful.  If they all played that way all the
time, wouldn't it be great?  You can't find fault with anyone on that
team judging from today's play.  The passing, running, everything were
wonderful.  By the way, I know we once wondered if someone on the
Celtics monitors this list and I'm convinced they do.  Tommy made some
remarks today about how the fans don't like some of the things Walker
does, etc.
He touted his leadership, etc., but at the same time he made some of the
same observa-
tions some of us have made.  Mercer made some spectacular moves today,
and Barros was terrific, too.  I hope Andrew DeClerq remains a Celtic.
We certainly can see the great progress that kid has made this year.

    Sorry, I'll stop rambling now and be quiet.

Dorine