Re: Re:Draft'97v'98

-----Original Message-----
From: Jo Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
To: celtics <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Friday, March 20, 1998 12:46 PM
Subject: Re:Draft'97v'98

>Despite his recent late-game heroics since he joined the Raptors, I
>noticed a statistical decline in Chauncey Billups’ FG% (37.5%  vs.
>39.0%) and assists per game (3.4  vs  4.2), not to mention an increase
>in turnovers (2.8 from 2.2) due mostly to a big increase in minutes.
>
>IMO:
>1)  Maybe you all were right in rationalizing/rushing-to-judgement that
>CB will never develop into an effective NBA point guard. (Although I’ve
>no doubt he’s a genuine clutch ball player.)

CB has not always been playing the point guard position since his arrival in
Toronto.  In fact Christie has been handling the ball alot more since he
arrived, perhaps by design, perhaps not.  Interesting to see Dee shoot so
well from downtown last night in their win.  As far as rushing to judgement,
aren't some of us criticized for wanting to judge Toine at this point in his
career?  If it's too early to analyze Toine, same should apply for Billups.

Kenny's health is part of the risk factor when making a deal.  We traded one
injured guy (Rogers) for two (Kenny & Popeye).  I find it difficult to
believe that Kenny had no previous tendonitis problem and that it only
surfaced after the trade.  Having said that, I think he is the offensive
answer at the point, but his defense is suspect.  That was one of Chauncey's
strengths,s which was often overlooked.  Scoring more points only improves a
team which decrease their points allowed.  We have not done that.

Cecil