Re: the state of affairs

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Cecil Wright wrote:

> From: Jeremy <jwarren@eecs.tufts.edu>
> >
> > I'd like to see us trade Travis Knight, Dana Barros, and our draft
> >pick (if we have to) to the Lakers for Elden Campbell.
> >

> As I sit here and watch Kenny Anderson limping back on defense with his bad
> knee, why would we want to trade Dana, who has played reasonably well under
> Pitino?  I can see if you're getting a more talented player in return,
> however, it will take any player time to grasp Rick's style of play,
> particularly on defense.  Murdock plays good defense but I'm not sure if
> he's even close to what Dana can give you offensively.  Elden Campbell would
> probably take a pay cut just to get away from Shaq.
>
> Cecil

	If KA turns out to be injury prone, that is all the more reason to
get a real point guard as a backup.  KA helps to hide Barros'
defficiencies as a point guard.  When Barros has to play extended minutes,
they stick out like a sore thumb.  Did you notice that Pitino went with a
hobbling Kenny in crunch time instead of a healthy Barros.  Barros is a
good role player, but you have to give up something to get something.
With the lack of quality centers in the eastern conference, Campbell could
be a near all-star for us.  As far as Murdock is concerned, he would be
better than Tyus or Dana.  If you don't have top notch players to
implement "the system", then it becomes worthless.

Jeremy