RE: geiger, etc.

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Charles Jowett wrote:

> >Geiger is a journeyman power forward pretending to be a center
> Playing for two teams in 6 years (3 years for each team) does
> not make him a journeyman.

Well, not literally, but I think the spirit of the term still applies.
Besides, it'll look like next year will be his third team in seven years,
which is close to journeyman status.

> >For the year, he's averaging 11pts, and 6.5 rebounds.  He's not that
> >much better than Knight, if at all better.
>
> For comparisson, Andrew DeClercq averages 18.2 mpg, 5.5 ppg and
> 4.7 rpg.  Banana Boy (Travis Knight) averages 20.2 mpg, 6.7ppg and
> 5.1 rpg.
>
> By any means of comparisson, Geiger is clearly better than either
> DeClercq or Knight.

Based on the numbers above, here's how it looks per 48 minutes:

		Points		Rebounds
DeClerq		  14.7		    12.4
Knight		  15.9		    12.1
Geiger		  22.7		    13.4

An improvement, but I don't think Geiger is what the Celtics need.  I'd
rather have a guy who couldn't score a lick but could rebound and block
shots (kinda like Ervin Johnson in Milwaukee).  Geiger's not much of a
shot-blocker.

> BTW:  Everytime I watch DeClercq and Knight, I can't help thinking of
> Mark Acres and Brad Lohaus.

Ooh, that hurt.

Dan