Re: What's it take for a championship?

Overall a good take on the bottom line subject we should all be interested
in.

A couple questions/follow-ups:

This has been a discussion to a degree; is AW best suited to be SF or PF,
or does it matter?  For all his abilities I have small concerns at him
playing either positions (I emphasize small and of course he is going to be
one or the other).  Can he handle the ball and shoot well enough to play
SF?  Does he have a strong enough inside prescence to be a PF?  Things that
make you go hmmm.

The center position is the cornerstone of getting to the next level.  I too
doubt Knight's abilities, though not his heart for the most part.  I doubt
we are going to meet our goals with Austin (soon to be 30 years old), or
Geiger (questionable in many areas).  I would look favorably on taking a
chance with Stewart out of Sacramento, if they let him go.  Raw yes, but
definately the package of skill, age and attitude. BTW yes you did forget
someone on your lists, Knight.

Do we hope to miss the playoffs to better our draft position?  Not on your
life.  At this point in the development of this young team, scratching our
way to the 8th spot is valuable for the experience of playing playoff
games, being on a national stage, playing Chicago at least 3 straight times
(I said quite arrogantly on November 1, I was hoping for the chance to meet
Chicago in the playoffs come April), having the expectations to do it again
every year from now on, having reward, recognition and respect for passing
goal #1 on RP master plan and skipping straight to #2, that being making
the playoffs.  I don't mean to run on, but the goal of moving up a spot or
two in the draft, was last years goal, never to be repeated.  Besides look
where the hell it got us chasing after the Duncan franchise.  This is not
acceptable by RP, nor should it be for any longterm Celtic fan.  We will
get valuable players through upcoming drafts, but we will build a
championship team, with all the pieces in place, through trades and FA
aquisitions.  I for one get very giddy over the thought of making Chicago
bust their tails getting to the 2nd round.

Lastly, thank you again Jonathan McIntyre for your excellent analysis of
the upcoming schedules.  I do this often, but it much appreciated to see it
so clearly put into words. Keep up the great work.

Tonight is a valuable game in getting to the next level.  Let's all enjoy
the ride.

Greg