Olowokandi

Steve:

No one is disputing the fact that Olowakandi has tremendous potential.
Quite the opposite--I think that if his game ever catches up with his
physical skills, he could develop into an outstanding player.  My
comparison to Adonal Foyle was actually complimentary.  I could have
chosen to compare him to Yinka Dare--another 7-footer who carried 270
muscular pounds on his frame, who was a superior athlete in the
Atlantic 10, and who has struggled mightily in the NBA now that he can
no longer out-athlete players for points and rebounds.

3 - 5years, he will very easily carry 285 pouns on his frame."<<<<<<

There is no way that Olowakandi weighs 270 pounds.  He WAS chiseled
and muscular, but he was also lean (hence my estimation of 250
pounds).  I don't care what Pacific's media guide lists him at--this guy
does not weigh 270.

32 points on 14 - 23 from the field despite double and triple teaming...In
the process, he displayed a variety of shots:  a turnaround jumper, a
sweet hook shot, and a very nice touch from 10 feet or so by going to
the glass a couple of times to compliment his rim-rocking jams"<<<<<<<

I'm not impressed when a 7-footer displays a "variety" of shots against
6-7 defenders.  When this kid (who currently relies on superior
athleticsm to score on inferior players) gets to the NBA, he'll have a
tough time scoring on frontcourt players who are just as big, strong, and
athletic as he.  You're right about the soft touch on turn-around jumpers,
but he'll have a tough time getting those same looks against David
Robinson.

Kenny Anderson feeding him easy looks instead of a Division 1 guard
that you and I will never hear of again once Kandi man
graduates?"<<<<<<<

Whether or not he plays with a talented point guard (i.e.--Kenny
Anderson) will not change the fact that he it'll take time for him to adjust
to playing against NBA-caliber frontcourt players.  Sure, Kenny will set
him up for easy buckets with precision passes on the break (as he has
done for Walker), but there's more to playing hoop than running the fast
break, especially in the Eastern conference, where he would be required
to defend against Messrs. Mourning, Ewing, Mutombo, Ilgauskas, Smits,
Williams, Divic et al.

fakes & committing fouls:  he sat out the final 5 minutes of the first half
with 3 fouls after scoring 12 points in the opening 10 minutes of the
game.  he played the entire second half, scored 20 or more points,
blocked 4 shots, and finished the game still with only 3 fouls so I'm not
sure where that comment is coming from."<<<<<<<

I can't recall what the inside player for Utah State's name was, but he
repeatedly slashed to the basket for inside buckets against Olowakandi.
He also consistently got to the line, including a short span in the first half
where he drew two quick fouls on the big guy, relegating him to the
bench while Utah State put the game out of reach.  In fact, Utah State
players took the ball right at him for much of the game, frequently getting
easy baskets.  Despite Olowakandi's ostensible dominance, the bottom
line is that Pacific suffered a double-digit loss.

Steve, I'm not disputing the fact that the guy has a lot of potential, but I
don't think that the shotblocks and "rim-rocking jams" you so eloquently
described will come as easily in the NBA.  I also hope that you weren't
mistaking my comparison to Foyle as an insult--it wasn't meant to be
(read:  Dare).

RF