Re: A couple thoughts

At 09:52 AM 3/9/98 -0500, Chris Littlefield wrote:
<snip>
>My goodness, but he is a wonderful passer in transition!  Earlier in the
>season, I had been repeatedly incensed watching Mercer tear up the wing, a
>full step ahead of the pack, only to have to pull up and wave his arms to
>no avail as the Celtic bringing the ball up with his head down would make a
>1 on 3 drive.  More often than not, Kenny makes it just...look...easy!

Amen to all of the above and nicely put. One of the first things I noticed
when KA arrived was how nice it was to have a veteran PG, who not only knew
who to get the ball to, where and when, but was secure enough in himself to
refuse the ball to people when appropriate. I've thought since early in the
season that Walker and Billups were holding back Mercer's development. Not
intentionally, but just that they were keeping Mercer from seeing the ball
enough.

<snip>
>on the receiving ends of 'big-smile'
>passes, where the player's just so happy, he has no time to think about
>roaring or wiggling.

Another nicely put bit.

>	I'm worried a little about his defense, his health, and a little
>bit of a tendency to think too much offense.  I'll also be keeping an eye
>on his attitude.

His defense will likely never be great, but with Pitino's enphasis on team
defense and multiplayer traps, we can live with this. He's been mostly
adequate so far.

And two things are likely to help keep his attitude on course. His mutual
admiration society with Pitino, which seems genuine. And the fact that he is
really close with Howard David, one of the radio broadcasters (they went out
to dinner the day KA reported), which gives him someone with the team's
interests at heart but not in a position 'over' Kenny for him to blow off
steam to and work out any frustrations. A lot of attitude problems come seem
to come down to someone not feeling sufficiently appreciated, with no way to
respond except 'attitude'. KA said something along these lines in a radio
interview.

>But the effect of his presence on the team; the infectious
>passing,

Exactly! It's become infectious. It's not just KA's own skill, but the whole
team doing more of it and a better job.
I drool at the thought of when these guys get comfortable enough to
regularly run some pick and rolls and backdoor plays. Low post with Walker
or another big man taking it strong. High post with Knight optioning to
someone like Mercer with driving ability or back out for his own open jumper.

<snip>
>I wish Chauncey well, but Kenny Anderson puts this team years
>ahead in its development.

Well, if you read my diatribe from a day or so ago, you know we agree here.
And the ramifications go beyond improvement on the court. Walker looks more
worth the type of money he'll demand. Everyone looks more enticing as trade
bait. We'll know a lot more about what we've got with guys like Mercer when
the time comes to decide on re-signing him. And the whole team looks more
like a place FA will want to come to, than just another place where they're
'trying hard'.

>	Folks worry about his health.  Frankly, I don't know whether Pitino
>has been lucky or good, but this team has had remarkably few injury
>problems.  Pervis' ankle is the only long-term injury I can think of.  My
>hope is that an off-season regimen for Kenny will put set him up to return
>to All-Star form next year.

All you have to do is look at the number of injuries from last year, when no
one was forced into any kind of shape, to know that he and his coaches have
been good. Luck enters into it, it always does. But there's a marked absence
of the sort of sprains and strains and pulls that occur from lack of
conditioning. And even with Pervis, it's notable that the only problem in
his chronic area -knees- was relatively short term.  KA is obviously not in
the same sort of whape, and I wouldn;t get too worried about the knee
tendonitis without knowing how much of it is aggrevated by this. ALmost
everyone with more than a couple year's experience in the NBA has some
degree of tendonitis in knees and/or ankles, just because of the level of
abuse they continually take.

<snip>
>	Or...depending on how legit this Olowokandi guy is, we could draft
>him at center and see if we could wrangle ourselves one Mr. Tom Gugliotta.
>
>	Gee, that wouldn't be bad, would it?

Not at all, but if you're going to worry about KA's health, you've got to
wonder about Goog's ankle injury too. It's reportedly a bad one, with no
likelihood of adequately testing the results after rehab.

Great post
-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net