Chauncey vs. Kenny

I want to make one more point in the Chauncey vs. Kenny discussion,
particularly about the age issue.  RIght now, it seems clear that Kenny
runs the point better.  But some have worried that in a few years
Chauncey will develop into as good a point as Kenny and he will much
younger and have more productive years ahead of him.  That may well be
true.  But carry that argument out to its logical conclusion.  Assume
Chauncey develops over the next two years into as good a point as Kenny.
 He is now three years into the league, heading into his prime years of
productivity and a free agent.  Assuming that the Celts have by that
time broken the bank for Walker, if they still had Chauncey (and a
steadily impressive Mercer), they couldn't afford him.  So, he'd be a
great point guard for some other team.  Kenny, however will still be
under contract.

So, the question of age is moot, because if the best happens with
Chauncey, we couldn't hold him.  His effective career for the Celtics
lasts three years.  Kenny's under contract for five years and so his
effective career for the Celtics is arguably longer than Chauncey's.
So we got a better point for a longer period.

I think that Pitino and his crew understand the realities of today's NBA
better than most and deals like the Anderson one prove it.  Gain a
professional point guard now, lock him up for five years to provide the
leadership and stbility a young team needs, and gain some cap
flexibility in the process.  Nicely done.

Dan

I think most are agreed that the team seems to move better with
Anderson.  He is clearly the better floor leader today than Chauncey.